Advice for Bournemouth School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Dorset

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

BournemouthDad

Advice for Bournemouth School

Post by BournemouthDad »

Just thought I'd write a short post on taking the 11+ in Bournemouth for those who are soon to be starting the journey or are already on it.

I think my number one piece of advice would be to not stress about it. There are some very good schools in Bournemouth now and they will do a wonderful job no matter what happens in the test. I would also advise against tutoring. Now I know for every person that says this you will get nine who disagree and think you should but bear with me. We didn't tutor our son and he also didn't get one minute of time in his state school towards the process. The teachers do not even talk about it. I know plenty around have lunchtime or after school clubs where they help them prepare but we didn't get that. But you really don't need it. We gave our son the test papers over the months leading up to the tests, maybe once a week at most and this helped him understand the type of questions and what was expected from him on the day. Thats all you need.

If your son/daughter doesn't get a place when you've done the above then its surely better they dont go to the Grammar. My oldest is flourishing at TBOWA and while he could have taken the test and is a bright lad, it just wasn't right for him at the time.

If your son or daughter are near the top of their class then some test papers should be enough to ensure they get a place. Tutoring will of course increase their chances but if they get in only due to the tutoring then there is a concern that they might find it tougher when they then start.

If you are relaxed then I'm sure your child will be relaxed. Help them prepare but don't make a big deal of it. As someone said to me, they will still be the same child after they open the results letter as they were before, no matter the result. So just chill and let them show what they can do. If its to be then great, if not then I'm sure they will achieve no matter where they go.

Having a bright child appears to be a fashion accessory to some and the stress and pressure to succeed is past down to the children resulting in the tears and days off school in the lead up to the exam. I know of several children needing the days in advance off, including one person taking the whole week. It doesn't need to be stressful if you dont make it so.

Ok, enough waffling. Good luck to all those taking it this year and to all those who got in yesterday for this September, see you on parents evening :wink:
thescribe

Re: Advice for Bournemouth School

Post by thescribe »

Thanks for the great advice Bournemouthdad.

I must admit the pressure does seem to be quite intense. My main worry is that whereas before he was in catchment for a good secondary, Bishop of Winchester, now he isn't so if he doesn't get a place at grammar I'm not sure what that will mean for him. :-(

I may have to start saving my pennies for private! :shock: :shock:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now