Wellington waiting list

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Moodelay

Wellington waiting list

Post by Moodelay »

Just wondered if anyone on here knows anything about how the waiting list works for Wellington? My daughter's friend has spent all her primary years in Timperley/Altrincham schools but the family moved out to Baguley for a few years. They are now back in Timperley and are in catchment for Wellington, but were not there in time for the admissions deadline last October, so consequently the child has been allocated a place at Newall Green.

Anyone know what sort of chance they have of getting into Wellington? And any tips on anything they can do to help the process along?

Many thanks
rosetinted

Re: Wellington waiting list

Post by rosetinted »

Moodelay, I didn't wan't to read and run.

I think your friend would be best advised by Wellington and Trafford LEA. There will be some movement from parents who are awaiting Grammar appeals or who decide to send their children elsewhere but I have no idea of the appeals process and how many places open up in an average year. I'm assuming she will be quite high on the waiting list, as she does now live in catchement so it's worth finding out.

I do know that Knutsford High offers places to children from out of area - which may be a good alternative to Newall Green. I have friends in Northenden whose children go there and they are delighted with the school. We looked into this for our daughter when we realised that she may not pass Grammar School. Many children from Timperley go to Knutsford. Schools Buses pick up from many areas, and the train from Timperley/Altrincham is packed every morning. You friend would be best speaking direct to Knutsford if they were interested.
Moodelay

Post by Moodelay »

Thanks for the advice rosetinted
flotsam

Post by flotsam »

One of DS1's friends got in to Wellington on the first allocation, and they live about .75 miles from the school. If your friend lives closer than that I would imagine they'll be very near the top of the waiting list, and have a good chance I would have thought.