Heading for STRS / Tommies - questions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Weaver

Heading for STRS / Tommies - questions

Post by Weaver »

I thought it might be useful for those of us with boys heading to STRS to have a topic where we can flag up queries that those of you with experience might be able to answer! (If this falls outside the remit of an 11+ forum, I understand. And maybe there is a facebook group of other forum we could be pointed at?).

MedievalBabe

Re: Heading for STRS / Tommies - questions

Post by MedievalBabe »

There is a Tommies Facebook page, but it doesn't have a huge amount of parents using it or commenting. Might get more on here.
FODMum

Post by FODMum »

My son has accepted a Tommies place - any other boys from the Forest of Dean also going to Tommies from September?
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

having had the letter today from STRS am curious as to which elements of the uniform are compulsory or necessary eg the scarf....should I, shouldnt I?
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

I have a boy in Yr 9 and one heading there in September. We've never had a scarf. The things we'll be buying this time round; blazer, tie (we also have a hidden spare one for emergencies!), rugby top in house colours (although I think we bought a second one later in Yr 7, in just school colours), sports socks. Last time we also bought a summer shirt but they didn't wear them until the summer term so I won't bother this time. PE shorts, trousers and 'white indoor kit' will home from a sports shop/M&S and we just used dark swimming trunks.

The second hand shop is worth a look, we've replaced a lost rugby top from there.

The blazer we had in yr 7 is just getting too small, and they wash well.

Hope that helps.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

thanks
metalikaf

Post by metalikaf »

I bought the scarf in Year 7 as my son really wanted one, and it has never seen the light of day!

Best buy - The blue coat with STRS on the back. It lasted until the of middle Year 9 . Quite expensive, but well worth the money.

Must have - Long sleeved games shirt (reversible)
Navy rugby shorts.
Rugby socks.
Rugby boots.

If like mine, they are in the rugby teams, then multiples of the shorts and socks, as you will be washing them regularly ( 2-3 times a week) .Plus skin shorts, skins, gumshields and a Junior size kit bag to carry it all in.

Must have - White P.E top
White shorts ( mine has Nike football style shorts)
White socks
Trainers

Must have - Navy swim shorts, close fitting type .

Lastly - A rucksack is a must I think, rather than a messenger style bag.
They have a lot of text books and exercise books to carry every day; plus lunch box, pencil cases, water bottle etc, and we found that a messenger style bag just wasn't
up to the job.
The weight can be quite heavy, so a rucksack is a bit easier on the back too.

Hope this helps. :D
Amber

Post by Amber »

Scarf? Is there a scarf?
Coat? Didn't know about that either but given that my two won't even wear a jumper I can't imagine I would have sold them the idea of a coat.

Mine have black swimming trunks not navy, no-one wears the regulation ones after the first lesson and mine use the longer tight trunks which they wear for swimming elsewhere too. Don't bother with the summer shirts as they don't think they are cool - would rather wear the winter ones rolled up. Apart from the blazer, rugby shirt and socks, and the tie, everything came from the usual shops. We didn't buy spare ties as I think it encourages them to play fast and loose with them - they can buy one from reception for £5 if they lose it and both of mine have had to do this. Own money. Just the once. :D
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Our is secret tie. :wink:
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Amber wrote:Scarf? Is there a scarf?
Coat? Didn't know about that either but given that my two won't even wear a jumper I can't imagine I would have sold them the idea of a coat.

Mine have black swimming trunks not navy, no-one wears the regulation ones after the first lesson and mine use the longer tight trunks which they wear for swimming elsewhere too. Don't bother with the summer shirts as they don't think they are cool - would rather wear the winter ones rolled up. Apart from the blazer, rugby shirt and socks, and the tie, everything came from the usual shops. We didn't buy spare ties as I think it encourages them to play fast and loose with them - they can buy one from reception for £5 if they lose it and both of mine have had to do this. Own money. Just the once. :D
Thanks for the no-nonsense post Amber - really useful. Does the second hand "shop" open very frequently do you know? I'm not a cheapskate, but have a son who would happily walk about in pyjamas all day as he isn't the slightest bit fussed about clothes. He's lost lots of pocket money over the years replacing lost items. :D . I don't think we'll go down the school coat and scarf route as I don't think he could afford it!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now