Moving closer to Kendrick

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
berks_mum

Moving closer to Kendrick

Post by berks_mum »

From my current location it takes 20min on the train to Reading Station plus walk to Kendrick(15mins?). I wondered if getting closer to the school will cut down the commute to 20-20-30 walk/cycle?
Which areas of Reading are good to live? Some suggestions were Caversham, Emmer green, Earley, Woodley and University area. How is it to live in the 1-2miles area surrounding Kendrick?
BlueSmarties

Re: Moving closer to Kendrick

Post by BlueSmarties »

Where do you work? For example no point living in Caversham if you have to cross the river or go through the town centre to get to work every day - the traffic is awful, buses may be better due to bus lanes (plenty of girls take buses from Caversham). IMHO nice areas to live within 20 - 30 mins walking distance would be the University area (RG1 and RG6).

What are the needs of the other family members to take into account?

We're 30 mins away from Kendrick by foot, 20 if you're a fast 12 year old! We can walk into town from where we live, it's a good area, diverse and close to lots of amenities. I would find it hard to live further afield and lengthen my DD's school commute :wink:

Forgot to add that DD can do an after-school club and still be home by 4.30pm (short day, time for homework or relaxing etc), definitely a bonus to being so close in my opinion.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

BlueSmarties,

Thank you for your response. It is very helpful.
Where do you work? For example no point living in Caversham if you have to cross the river or go through the town centre to get to work every day - the traffic is awful, buses may be better due to bus lanes (plenty of girls take buses from Caversham). IMHO nice areas to live within 20 - 30 mins walking distance would be the University area (RG1 and RG6). What are the needs of the other family members to take into account?
For work we need to be in walking/cycling distance to Reading station. Approx 2 mile radius. How long do the buses take at peak time?
We're 30 mins away from Kendrick by foot, 20 if you're a fast 12 year old! We can walk into town from where we live, it's a good area, diverse and close to lots of amenities. I would find it hard to live further afield and lengthen my DD's school commute :wink:

Forgot to add that DD can do an after-school club and still be home by 4.30pm (short day, time for homework or relaxing etc), definitely a bonus to being so close in my opinion.
I would be interested in something similar. I will pm you.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

We are in a similar situation. DD has 25 min walk to Kendrick, we are on bus 17 route if we need one to town but would usually walk. Many buses only go to town not station so cycling would probably be quicker
indiemom

Post by indiemom »

If you have to look into primary schools for younger siblings then Earley Lower Earley has got better primary schools I believe.
Still the bus will take about 15-20 mins from there or if you live closer to Earley station then DD can walk to station and take a 5 min train ride to Reading Station.

Avoiding Caversham is better if one has to come to station everyday due to horrendous traffic during peak time.
rainbowcarousel

Post by rainbowcarousel »

indiemom wrote:Avoiding Caversham is better if one has to come to station everyday due to horrendous traffic during peak time.
I completely agree :roll: (as someone who lives in Emmer Green, i.e. over the bridge)

I would love DD to have a 20 min walk to school. If I didn't have a DS at school in Caversham (he has a 15 min walk to school), I would move to the University area.

Luckily my DD is in the fortunate position of having a mother who starts works at RBH at 8am... So she will have the option of either leaving the house at 7am (walk to the bus stop for 7.15, then walk up from town to school for 8am) or leaving the house at 7.25am to be driven to the hospital for 7.50am and walk in from there.... hmmm I suspect I know what she'll pick! If I change jobs or hours though, she's in for a shock :twisted:
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Another vote for East Reading/Earley borders.

I worked in the town centre for a while. If I was really lucky with the 17 bus (very frequent btw) then I could be in town within 20 mins of leaving the house. If I just missed one, then I started walking and the next one would overtake me as I was almost there. About 30 mins walk for me.

DD uses the 17 every day. We are a bit further out than Reading mum. Once you get into Maiden Erleigh and lower Earley, then I think it's the 21 and 19 buses, (there's been a recent change that did not go down way with some locals, especially Kendrick girls, so I'm not sure). I know the 19 is not known for reliability in the past, but may have improved.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Thank you BlueSmarties, ReadingMum, IndieMum, RainbowCarousel and Tinkers. Your posts are helping me lots.

Is East Reading the area from Plamer park to Kendrick or area from Earley station to Plamer park? Is the south of A329(Wokingham Road) better than the north(Palmer park side) or both are equally good?
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

East Reading could be seen as anywhere from Kendrick to the 3 Tuns pub probably, and taking in the Uni campus. If thinking about junior schools then which side of the Wokingham Rd you are and which side of the 3 tuns (Wokingham borough generally better) does matter. If no junior requirement then it matters less. Wokingham Rd is not the A329 - you don't want to be the other side of A329M as then you are into Woodley (further out and less frequent bus).
It depends what you mean by 'good'.
I like period properties with high ceilings so the University area is my preference. Prices reflect location and school catchments.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Thanks Reading Mum. No junior requirement. I saw houses in the mile radius of Kendrick and most of them were victorian terraced, 2 up, 2 down (10x12) ones which I don't like much. I thought Woodley houses were more wide. May be built at different times. I also like period properties with high ceilings. Will do a more broad search or the area you mentioned.
By good I meant where there is good community feel. Some streets organise lot of events around the year, the neighbours know each other … kind of.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now