Simple Question

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
basicbob

Simple Question

Post by basicbob »

Really sorry that I'm taking up too much time it's down to me asking too many open questions and creating a debate.

I have narrowed down my questions:

My son will take either Geography or DT Electronics GCSE as a fourth choice.

Q1 Does your child take any of these 2 GCSE's if yes how do they find it?

Q2 If your child takes any of these 2 GCSE's how do they feel with the coursework, do they find it hard to manage?

Q3 Is your child likely to get a good grade - please feel free to ignore this question if you feel it's too personal.

Thanks
Guest55

Re: Simple Question

Post by Guest55 »

1) No but I'm a teacher so am aware of the demands of both.

2) Geography coursework involves a visit to do 'field work' - check the cost. What support do they get from the school as 'manageability' depends on whether the school has a plan to ensure deadlines don't clash! Do they issue a calendar of deadlines? Electronics - we don't offer that but it must be simiar to other DT subjects - see point about deadlines. It would be useful for engineering ...

3) Son did Graphics and neither of the above -
KB

Post by KB »

Following on from G55 - geography course work is more manageable now than it used to be and DT course work tends to be a larger proportion of time and more is expected to be done as homework.

Geography is a more 'mainstream' subject so it will probably be easier to find support materials if needed.

Agreeing with G55 - if the school has a supportive structure in place then it makes a massive difference.

And if its a potential issue for you, do check cost of trip for data gathering for Geography.

Geography is probably better for a more academic student and electronics for a more practical leaning. However geography does not have complex concepts to master - best treated in a logical way and broken into small chunks - but there is a bit of 'learning' notably of case studies.

As an educated guess if the geography teacher is good then it will be a 'safer' bet while electronics is probably more down to independent working by the student.

Hope you manage to get to a decision that you are both content with.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Q1 Does your child take any of these 2 GCSE's if yes how do they find it?

Q2 If your child takes any of these 2 GCSE's how do they feel with the coursework, do they find it hard to manage?

Q3 Is your child likely to get a good grade - please feel free to ignore this question if you feel it's too personal.
Q1 - yes geography (DD took DT RM).
Q2 - Geography course work has been fine. I don't know if it comparable, but the RM coursework was a considerable burden. It has to be what's right for your DC though. DS loves geography, so the coursework comes easily to him. He would have hated a DT subject, so would have found it hard.
Q3 - yes for geography, but not sure how that would help you. DD got a A for the theory paper for RM, but fell down on the coursework (didn't put in enough time). Again, not sure how relevant this is to your situation (sorry haven't read much of the other thread!).
scary mum
bumblebee

Post by bumblebee »

My son is taking both these GCSE's this year. Geography is as the others have mentioned really. A field trip is involved and a lot of work to do following on from that. His school (grammar) did the field trip to local area so no extra costs involved. Lots of work but very do-able. Electronic DT I dont hear much about what he's doing so it must be OK! They design and make a couple of items and design without making a further couple of things. He enjoys it and I think he finds it a nice break from the more academic subjects. He is on track to do very well in both subjects and is planning to take Geography at A level as well alongside maths f/maths and physics. If your son wants to ask any questions then I'm sure DS would be happy to answer.
basicbob

Post by basicbob »

Hi Bumblebee,

Thanks for the information.

Do you find that he spends a lot of time doing Electronics at the expense of other subjects?
basicbob

Post by basicbob »

Also

What other options did your child choose and how many GCSE's is he taking in total?
bumblebee

Post by bumblebee »

No the electronics doesnt take up time at the expense of other subjects. Its one of the least intensive I would say. The one subject that really does take up a LOT of time is art. Way too much to do and if you love art it sucks all the joy out of it.
He is taking ...um about thirteen? Cant ask him as he is still at school doing extra .....art. :roll:
His other options were geography (they had to chose a humanity) french (they had to chose a language) Electronics, Art and Business Studies. As well as the compulsories. He is also taking further maths. He works hard and I would say that electronics takes up no more time than most of the other subjects. Including business studies.
Interestingly I have a younger son in year 9 choosing options for next year and they have had their choosable options cut from five to four. As he (and presumably your own son) are in this new wave of GCSE's (as my older one is for the A levels). so it wont be exactly the same for them i guess. He is gutted as they have had to drop drama his favourite subject and, interestingly, they have had to drop the engineering option for lack of numbers too. Hard times.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now