Sutton Grammar : What is it like ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
postmanpat

Sutton Grammar : What is it like ?

Post by postmanpat »

DS got SGS (his first choice) and it looks like he would have been offered Wilson's if we had put them first. We now have been given the option of being on Wilson's reserve list. I would be most grateful for any information about how both schools compare.
My son is not very keen on sports by the way and we are within walking distance of SGS.
Thank you very much for your help.
999 mum

Re: Sutton Grammar : What is it like ?

Post by 999 mum »

it was discussed a couple of years ago.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 53#p372753" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Two years on from then:

The homework has increased (now in year 10 working towards GCSEs so this was expected).
The information provided for choosing options was great.
There are parental information evenings each term on different topics (two year cycle).

DS is making the most of after school clubs. The school trips seem to be very well organised and good value for money when compared with school trips in other schools.

Still very happy with the school!
(Hopefully I will answer the same question again in two years time when he is in the sixth form)
Sillyparent

Post by Sillyparent »

my son is currently in year 8 and he having the best time of his life and the school does everything for their pupils; pupils aren't expected to have any extra tutoring on any subjects as all the syllabus have been covered by very experienced teachers.Pastrol control is excellent.They spend fairly good amount of time on sports and they really do well in sports.I'm really pleased that I chose the school over Wilson.It only takes 15mins to get to the school in a rush hr in the morning as there is a good bus service running around the clock. :lol: Good luck
redstar

Post by redstar »

Being within walking distance of SGS is certainly something to consider, as your DS will get the chance to participate in many extracurricular activities that way (there are lots of lunchtime clubs but some, such as orchestra, CCF, DT are after school - and there are lots of things to do that do not involve sports). The sports department are good at encouraging all boys to participate no matter what their ability level. It is a smaller school than Wilsons so for new starters maybe that affects friendship, attitudes and settling in periods (but I don't have boys at Wilsons so cannot compare). Overall it has good, inspiring teachers and happy, motivated boys. The town centre location means SGS is easier for transport options, but although the sports hall and pool are onsite the games field is a short coach trip away.
Best of luck with your choice.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now