Has catchment area for Ashlawn non selective school changed?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ginx

Has catchment area for Ashlawn non selective school changed?

Post by ginx »

Apparently Ashlawn have changed their catchment area for non selective.

Warwickshire County Council did not inform anyone, so parents who believed they lived in catchment only wrote Ashlawn down as their chosen school.

Dps are today finding out their dc have been sent to other schools.

Does anyone know anything about this? Shouldn't we have been informed Ashlawn isn't our catchment school?

Confused.
guest201

Re: Has catchment area for Ashlawn non selective school chan

Post by guest201 »

Has it definitely changed? Maybe with the language aptitude test taking places and teachers' children not all children in catchment have been offered a place because there are not enough places for all the in catchment kids.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

maybe a lot of siblings too?

has the map on page 7 changed? http://apps.warwickshire.gov.uk/api/doc ... CC-699-224" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ginx

Post by ginx »

Thanks, Herman, but I can't tell. The map doesn't show everywhere but still mentions "parishes" included. But dc from the nearest parish haven't got a place (unless they have a sibling at Ashlawn or are in the grammar stream).

Maybe the places are just full. A shock to many who assumed it was our catchment school and didn't list a second school.
Jason Orange

Post by Jason Orange »

Ashlawn are an Academy. Any changes to their priority area will have been made by the Academy Trust. The LA has no control over such changes nor do they have a duty to notify parents. You need to take it up with the school.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Thanks. Several parents have started their own group. I think at least seventeen dc have been allocated a place at Harris School, although they did not choose that school, it has been in special measures and does not seem popular right now.

My dc is in year 4, so we are not directly affected yet.

I don't totally understand, but Ashlawn's catchment is not clear.

There are many very unhappy parents. We are unsure where our catchment school is.
:(
Jason Orange

Post by Jason Orange »

Check out the map on the WCC site to find out your priority area school - you just key in your postcode. It may not have changed with the MFL test and high ranking of siblings causing in area children to be refused.
Janeymorris

Post by Janeymorris »

I don't think that the catchment has changed, just that Ashlawn like other schools around the country when over subscribed use criteria that involve distance from school, therefore there is no guarantee you will get you catchment school place if it is over subscribed and you are the furthest distance. It seems as if this year that there may have been an unusually larger than normal number of children who live close to the school who may either have not got into 1st choice grammers (perhaps because this year the scores are higher therefore more places awarded to out of catchment) and therefore defect to 2nd choice ashlawn non selective, or who put it as first choice. At least those not getting there first choice have been allocated a school in rugby, in my sons year 4 years ago there were no places for those who did not put a second choice and they were offered a school 2 buses away in Coventry!. Given that Ashlawn have increased their non selective places from 190 to 240, it is surprising that so many haven't got in as the 60 MFL shouldn't have had an effect.
guest201

Post by guest201 »

Might be worth checking with the school or WCC (not sure which one ) the oversubscription criteria and down to which number they offered. If it is the case that there are children in the nearest parish that haven't been offered places (I presume we are talking about Dunchurch) then there must be many more in the other parishes which are further away. How many MFL places are there this year I thought it was 30.
Jason Orange

Post by Jason Orange »

It's not 60 MFL places nor have they increased the number of non selective places. The number of non selective places has actually decreased since the introduction of the MFL test and a slight increase in the number of selective places they offer. The issue is down to a combination of these factors and their over subscription criteria.

As per the WCC website non-selective places but including MFL were offered as follows:

SEN, All on time In care, Siblings of children in the school, Children that met the qualifying score on MFL aptitude test, Child of a staff member and Applicants living in the priority area up to a distance of 1.103 miles
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now