Essex Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bells01

Essex Appeal

Post by Bells01 »

Hi, could anyone please give me any advice on appealing to Essex Grammar Schools. My DS obtained a lower 11+ score than was expected and consequently has not gained a place. He recently sat his mock SATS tests and has obtained a level 6 in both Maths and English. At the end of year 5 he was at level 5C+ in all core subjects.

I am wondering how much information I need to give on the initial appeal form? Do I just state the facts and expect to be allowed to elaborate at the hearing? Do I need to mention that DS was level 3A for Maths and 3C in all other subjects at the end of Key Stage 2 to show consistency or are the appeals board only interested in more recent information.

I've seen mention of parents obtaining an Educational Psychologist Report which, from what I can gather provides evidence of reasoning ability. However, CSSE removed the VR paper this year so I am wondering whether this is something that would hold any weight at an appeal or not?

I'm sorry for all the questions, I have read the section on this website about appeals and also the code on the gov.co.uk website but its such a minefield and a lot of the information seems to be more relevant to counties other than Essex.

I would really appreciate any pointers from anyone who has made an appeal in Essex before.

Thank you
Etienne

Re: Essex Appeal

Post by Etienne »

Welcome! :)
Bells01 wrote: I am wondering how much information I need to give on the initial appeal form? Do I just state the facts and expect to be allowed to elaborate at the hearing?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a43" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Do I need to mention that DS was level 3A for Maths and 3C in all other subjects at the end of Key Stage 2 to show consistency or are the appeals board only interested in more recent information.
It's up to you to put forward what you think are his strengths.
I would have thought recent information is always going to be more important - but individual panel members might well be interested in consistency, and it certainly won't do any harm to mention it.
(Appeal panels vary! It's difficult to know what a particular panel will focus on.)
I've seen mention of parents obtaining an Educational Psychologist Report which, from what I can gather provides evidence of reasoning ability. However, CSSE removed the VR paper this year so I am wondering whether this is something that would hold any weight at an appeal or not?
An EP report covers NVR as well. Would that be relevant?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... ication#b3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm afraid Essex appeals aren't easy to win, although there have been some successes.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 15&t=19293" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Please note that KS1 assessments are level 3 and are not sub-levelled.
Ann221a

Post by Ann221a »

Hi
Which Essex school are you appealing at? I appealed last year at WHSB.
hempsteadlad

Post by hempsteadlad »

Panels cannot make their own assessment, they can only take not of third party documentation.

If your child is working to level 6 in English and Maths, I would have thought that you had a strong case to suggest that something went wrong with the 11 plus examination. However, every panel works different and it is not easy to prove academic performance. What were his levels in the autumn tern when he took the 11 plus.
costagirl

Post by costagirl »

From my experience of appeals, you will need very, very strong evidence of why he underperformed in the 11+, with medical documentation to back up. It won't be enough to say that he normally performs at a higher level - they will want to know why he underperformed on the day. Hundreds of pupils don't perform as well on the day as they do normally at school/in 11+ practice. If you are appealing for Kegs or CRGS, be aware that appeals are rarely successful and only win in extreme cases. Don't want to put you off - it's always worth having a go if you've got a strong case - but I went through the process a couple of years ago and can give you the benefit of experience. We won our case, but this was incredibly unusual and was due to very extreme medical circumstances, with documentation from neurologists at a top London hospital. There were lots of parents at both the appeals I attended. Good luck, and get cracking with paperwork and documentation.
Bells01

Post by Bells01 »

Thank you everyone for your messages.

The school I will be appealing for is CRGS.

My DS was at level 5C+ at the end of year 5. I queried why the report didn't state anything above 5C when I had already been verbally advised he was 5A for maths and reading and was told that year 5 reports do not go above level 5C (don't know if that's just our primary school) hence the + after the level.

There is an extenuating circumstance but I do not feel that it is as strong as academic performance and feel I would be better concentrating mainly on this.

I am putting together an appeal letter this week and would appreciate any further advice, particularly whether anyone obtained EP reports or any other additional evidence of intellect to back up information from the primary school.
Ann221a

Post by Ann221a »

From my experience of the appeal at WHSB the panel did not take much convincing about his academic ability or the extenuating circumstances (he was 5a's at end of year 5 and predicted level 6 for maths and English in year 6. The extenuating circumstances were fully documented and accepted (I.e. The appeal board summary confirmed he was suitable for grammar school and his mark had been affected by the circumstance). However their main concern was since the school is already full, the admission of one more boy would prejudice the rest of the boys more than the need for my son to attend. It isn't enough to say he won't thrive at a normal comp etc - you need something really strong to get over the hurdle.
Bells01

Post by Bells01 »

Thank you Ann221a, I suspected that to be the case. However even though I know my DS is probably one of many children with similar abilities who may be appealing, I just feel that I have to try as he is worth it and I don't want to regret that I didn't.

Did you win your appeal to WHSB?
Ann221a

Post by Ann221a »

Unfortunately we did not win but I felt the same way and had to appeal. With hindsight and from the letter from the appeal board, all we could have concentrated on more was why he needed to go to that school and other than the obvious academic reasons which the appeal panel are not interested in, it is hard to come up with anything specific but I don't regret trying and my best advice is to make sure that area is as strong as your academic evidence and extenuating circumstances.