Help with school admission

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sendis

Help with school admission

Post by sendis »

Hi

I need a help with school admission , I have three children 8(year4),11(year6),12(year8) ,we have been living in Essex for 13 years ,Last summer my husband offered a job in Dubai ,so we moved last January to Dubai.
My middle sun just offered a place in one of the grammar school in Essex.so it’s the time to decide if we will stay her or back to UK.
For the last two month I'm felling my children are getting too tired, waking up by 5:30 in the morning, catching up the bus by 6:30, arrive school by 8 and the same journey back after school.
Their school is not bad ,its private school ,but not as good as their state school in UK, also it is so expensive ,Therefore we decided to back to UK next September.
We applied for their previous school but we really surprised that we can’t apply for my son's previous secondary school unless we back to UK (my son is a British citizen) then we can apply.
I'm afraid There will be no time and we need to secure a place for him before we come him back
Anyone had this experience before?
copella

Re: Help with school admission

Post by copella »

Hi congrats at your middle ds securing a place. However you will need a uk address to apply for state schools as there will be catchment areas and distance waiting lists to negotiate. Do you know if there is a waiting list for your preferred school? You will probably hAve to go down the private/indie route where you just need a vacancy in a preferred school.
KB

Post by KB »

Have you got a property already in this country?
If so then you might be able to get more advice about the likelihood of getting a place in your preferred school.

As copella says it would be helpful to find out if there are currently spaces in the school year your eldest would be joining.

If you can manage the fees it might be the best thing to look at fee paying school for your eldest until the end of year 11 and look at transferring back to the state system for A level if necessary.
You could always get a place at a fee paying school and then if there is a state place available when you come back you could choose to jump ship, loosing either the deposit and/ or first term fees.

Are there any other state schools you would be happy with for your eldest?

Depending on the school terms where you are and obviously your personal.circumstances, could you come back sooner than your husband so you can get things rolling with the school admissions?

Just a few thoughts that might help you work things through - don't feel obliged to actually respond to the questions!
sendis

Post by sendis »

Thank you Copella and KB for your replies .we still have our property in UK ,but its rented out .hopefully its will be available by end of August. Independent school is an option ,but my son missing his friend and want to back to his school. :cry:
KB

Post by KB »

The only thing I can suggest is if admissions will accept something from your letting agent / letting agreement that shows you will be moving back by a certain date. They do accept a letting agreement that shows you will be renting a property from a certain date as evidence of living in a catchment area so it might work.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now