st Ambrose Admission criteria 2016

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
wilmslowmum

st Ambrose Admission criteria 2016

Post by wilmslowmum »

I thought I would draw your attention to the above. If you have a look in the admission criteria and look at point 3 surely they cannot get away with that! If I wanted a place for my DS in 2016 I would be furious anyone would think it was a dodgy private school!
wilmslowmum

Re: st Ambrose Admission criteria 2016

Post by wilmslowmum »

http://www.st-ambrosecollege.org.uk/lib ... 202016.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

I am gobsmacked. I am completley impartial as all my children are settled at their secondary schools but I cannot believe that they can get away with point 3 and even if they can that it is so high up the selection criteria list. If it had to stay I would have thought it would sit best in 8th place. I can see any permant receptionist jobs becoming very favourable as it technically would guarantee a place to a non catholic child that would otherwise have a very slim chance of a place.
catmum

Post by catmum »

Doesn't surprise me one bit with St Ambrose- you only have to look at the website to see that it still thinks it's a private school. :evil:
I understand that they also plan automatic entry for any boys in the prep school if it gets its state funded status, ie boys there would be number 1 on the list ahead of other boys who may live nearer- particularly given the planned postcode entry from further afield and that any private boys there when it changes will have priority wherever they are from, much as they do now, totally unfair if secondary school is state funded- should have no such link to private primary.
Vicster

Post by Vicster »

St Ambrose calls itself a 'state funded independent school', what exactly does that mean? Does it mean that they have more flexibility over admissions and curriculum?
I have never heard of a state funded independent school before.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

That's shocking and I also see they have done away with the feeder parishes as well. It doesn't affect me but I think it's appalling.
catmum

Post by catmum »

I did have a look at the school admissions code and it would appear, surprisingly, that schools can include children of school staff in admissions criteria see 1.9 b) below , however 1.9 f) below would suggest they cannot include the criteria of 'have previously attended an RC school' as a ranked criteria unless named as feeder ( as previously)- does anyone know if I have interpreted this correctly? If so complaint can be sent to the schools admissions adjudicator to have this removed.

1.9 It is for admission authorities to formulate their admission arrangements,
but they must not:

b) take into account any previous schools attended, unless it is a
named feeder school;

f) give priority to children according to the occupational, marital,
financial or educational status of parents applying 22 (though
children of staff at the school may be prioritised in arrangements);
Altymumof2

Post by Altymumof2 »

I had heard the plans for the prep to become a non- fee paying academy had been scrapped a few months ago. So I guess it will be boys that go to RC primary school rather than RC boys that live close to school that are higher up the category?
I'm surprised it is acceptable to be in a higher category just because a parent works at the school though?
jugglermum

Post by jugglermum »

It certainly doesn't seem fair but they are not the only high school in Trafford to have this!
Ashton on Mersey high school also have staff children on the oversubscription criteria as number 3 following looked after and siblings. Considering that you would normally have to live within a 0.8 mile radius to get in then it gives these children a huge advantage over local children.
Olliesmum

Post by Olliesmum »

This is true. I am a teacher at Ashton on Mersey - and I have the option to take my DS there next year. You must remember though - that considering we have 90+ teachers...there are currently NO children of TEACHERS in our school of 1200+ pupils! ( There are a few children of auxilliary/office/other staff however - who were at the school before their parents were employed!)
My point is - I don't think it's something to get so worried about. I imagine any school in Trafford will have a max 3-5 requests by staff per year...out of the 260 places available at AonM in year 7! The average staffroom does not have a large group of parents all discussing their own year 6 child! In my experience anyway...