quick question

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kpnlo

quick question

Post by kpnlo »

To ease my daughters mind... on nfer maths, when she is getting between 86-96% correct that is a pretty great score isn't it?!?! she is still worrying and won't listen when i say that they are amazing scores.
keep telling her they are great and she will be fine as long as she concentrates on the day.
She will not listen to her mother :?
kate
kpnlo

Post by kpnlo »

also if she gets this sort of mark on the day will this help is she flunks her verbal reasoning...her vr is not this high
non vr is coming out good
perplexed

quick question

Post by perplexed »

Sorry if I am being stupid, but do you have a question hidden away somewhere in the messages above? If not, it might be best to ask the moderator to delete the thread.

Good luck.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I think the questions are whether her daughter is doing well in her maths and whether she can make up for the fact that her verbal reasoning is less good.
Sounds like a great set of scores for maths and don't know the answer to the other question.
denis denis

Post by denis denis »

Those scores sound really good!

From what I know, a really good score in one subject won't make up for a lower score in the Kent test, but it will in the DGGS test (which I presume your dd is taking) because (if it's like the boy's school test), the scores are averaged, so if she is weaker on VR, her Maths score will bring the average score up. I don't think it works like that in the Kent test, though, I thought you had to pass each individual paper.
kpnlo

Re: quick question

Post by kpnlo »

perplexed wrote:Sorry if I am being stupid, but do you have a question hidden away somewhere in the messages above? If not, it might be best to ask the moderator to delete the thread.

Good luck.
I thought it was a great score..i found this site and wanted to check...confirmation that it was agreat score as daughter is not feeling confident.
I know the scores they get have to be high, i am pretty sure her maths could be high enough,but wasn't sure if it was high enough to help with any dip in her vr.
I figured i could get confirmation and then my daughter may get a little confidence if she knew i was right.

not sure why i would want the thread deleted i thought the question marks indicated it was a question, maybe i should phrase it differently?!
kate
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

I don't think there's anything wrong with the way you phrased your questions and I didn't understand the response either!

Having done the practice, you're doing all that you can do at this late stage which is to boost your daughter's confidence.

Good luck
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I don't see any reason to delete the thread, in my opinion it was asking for clarification that the scores were good.

as far as I am concerned the thread can stay......
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

ps

my children NEVER listen to their mother!

:lol:
perplexed

quick question

Post by perplexed »

On your second question, which I have just fathomed out, in the Kent test you have usually to get approximately 120 or more in two papers, and 116 in the third. Therefore it is definitely not possible to "fail" one paper and make up the marks with stunning results in the other papers.

The NFER practice paper marks that you talk about in your opening post do sound good for maths. I am sorry I did not follow that you were really asking a question - they all looked like statements about how pleased you were with your daughter and concern that she did not agree. I would have been the same as your daughter.

If I were you I would continue to tell your daughter that these are good marks. But I would also explain to her that on the day the papers could feel harder than the practice papers, and if this is the case, not to worry. It is possible some years to pass with say 50 to 60 percent of your answers correct. So she needs to not be flustered by any questions she cannot do - just guess and move on.

I do know of people who have gone in expecting to be able to get nearly 100% right and been flustered by questions they cannot do, and they have let this put them off doing the questions that they could do.

Good luck.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now