Semi-selectives - anyone going?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Twinkle-Belle

Semi-selectives - anyone going?

Post by Twinkle-Belle »

Just thought I'd open this chat for anyone going to any of the semi-selectives or if your child is already attending one, please share your experience. We can't ALL. get into the 'supers' after all 8)
ToadMum

Re: Semi-selectives - anyone going?

Post by ToadMum »

Twinkle-Belle wrote:Just thought I'd open this chat for anyone going to any of the semi-selectives or if your child is already attending one, please share your experience. We can't ALL. get into the 'supers' after all 8)
Only the two Colchester grammar schools are super-selective now, so are you talking about KEGS, CCHS and the Southend / Westcliff grammar schools, or the real partially-selective schools (St Bernard's, Tommy More's, Cecil Jones, Shoeburyness, King John)?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Twinkle-Belle

Post by Twinkle-Belle »

ToadMum wrote:
Twinkle-Belle wrote:Just thought I'd open this chat for anyone going to any of the semi-selectives or if your child is already attending one, please share your experience. We can't ALL. get into the 'supers' after all 8)
Only the two Colchester grammar schools are super-selective now, so are you talking about KEGS, CCHS and the Southend / Westcliff grammar schools, or the real partially-selective schools (St Bernard's, Tommy More's, Cecil Jones, Shoeburyness, King John)?
Yep,

St Bernard's, Thomas More, Cecil Jones, Shoebury High, and King John. I hear King John is particularly outstanding - last ofsted...

So Kegs and the rest of the grammar schools in Chelmsford and Southend are not super selectives??
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Super-selectives admit on score only - apart from ColCHS and CRGS, all the grammar schools have a 'catchment' element. The Chelmsford schools protect the first 80% of places for those in the priority area on score then the rest are allocated purely on score. The Southend Borough grammars take up to a number in catchment on score then all the rest of the places are open, including any unused 'catchment' places.
Last edited by ToadMum on Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Twinkle-Belle

Post by Twinkle-Belle »

Right, that's what makes the super 'super.'

So, this is mainly for the partially selective schools. Anyone attending those please share.
thankgoditsover

Post by thankgoditsover »

Hi,
My eldest DD attends King John she's now in year 12 (gosh where have all those years gone :shock: ) and her journey through the school has been a good one. She achieved excellent gcse results, exceeding most of her predicted grades. King John is also well known for it's sporting achievements too if that's what your child is interested in. I personally can't fault the school and all its done for my DD. Incidentally my younger DD is in year 9 at shsg so I'm experiencing both sides of the coin so to speak.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

We also have experience of both (sorry if my first response to your initial post seemed a bit picky but there are some who regard the Westcliff and Southend grammars to be inferior - not to mention the large correspondence a couple of years back, well-out-of-area parents claiming that by introducing a catchment area, the Chelmsford grammars would be going to Hades in a handcart, so to speak :shock: ). DD didn't pass the 11+ and was allocated Cecil Jones, which is the other side of the borough from us so not initially considered. Her SATs scores put her in the top stream anyway, however, and she did very well.

When places became available at SHSG at the end of the year, she did take the test, though - but because Southend had been her first preference, not to get away from Cecil Jones. She passed highly enough and is now in year 9 at SHSG, but if she hadn't, she would have stayed where she was. Incidentally, the poor Ofsted report the school got a year or so ago didn't really seem to be describing the school we knew, a feeling echoed by one of DD's friends who is still there (although she has complained that her classes seem to have become more mixed-ability since she moved into year nine, so I don't know whether policies on streaming have changed).

Another of DD's friends who went to King John decided very early on that she didn't want to try again for a place at Southend.
Twinkle-Belle

Post by Twinkle-Belle »

Thanks for your response.

It's good to explore other options I believe, especially with the increasing number of applicants for places each year. I can't begin to imagine what will happen in the next five years :shock:
optimisticmom

Post by optimisticmom »

Twinkle-Belle wrote:Thanks for your response.

It's good to explore other options I believe, especially with the increasing number of applicants for places each year. I can't begin to imagine what will happen in the next five years :shock:
Hi Twinkle Belle

How many more times do you need to go through this wonderful (NOT!!) experience again?

Did your dc recently sit the 11 plus?

Optimisticmom
Twinkle-Belle

Post by Twinkle-Belle »

Hi Optimisticmum,

Yes we did the 11 plus but we are looking at the independent option as a back up since DS is still on the waiting list for SHSB.

We hope he gets in bc the indie will put us out of pocket :(

We are thinking about approaching King John if we can or as another option for the younger DS.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now