Schools with preps

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
NeedWine

Schools with preps

Post by NeedWine »

trying to figure out how automatic entry from prep to senior school is at the various London Schools. Here are the ones I think I know about but some could be wrong. Anyone have any more insight on these or others?

Highgate - prep do not sit 11 plus (or 13 plus). No idea if they do any weeding out
SHHS - prep girls do not sit 11 plus. They are given offers based on tests at end of Y5. Don't know how many leave
CLSG - prep girls sit 11+ but told in advance whether they have guaranteed places. Variable number leave - some years none some years quite a lot
WHS - I think the same as CLSG
LEH - prep girls do not sit the 11+ unless going for a scholarship. Don't know how many leave or the process.
St Albans girls - new process this year - everyone had to sit 11+ and no guarantees. Any feedback on how that went for the prep girls?
NLCS and Habs - don't know but think a few leave

Others? Don't know boys schools so well.
Daogroupie

Re: Schools with preps

Post by Daogroupie »

The St Albans girls have always sat the exam. That is not new. Usually around five or six of them don't get through. It might have been more this year with the New Head keen to make a mark. At Habs all sit the exam but all go through and girls I know there tell me that the preps are generally seen as weaker as they have not put the work in. I would save your money and get a tutor! DG
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

CLSG loses about 1/3- shocking as the competition is so fierce at 7+
NLCS loses very few and aims to lose none. DD1's co-hort from the junior school is just as strong as the 11+ girls but other years might be different. Only one girl was told the senior school might not be right for her (had social issues as much as academic ones) but passed the 11+ and went up with no academic problems. The 2 who did go went 1)boarding and 2) someplace that allowed for more external performing arts.
MrsChips

Post by MrsChips »

Latymer Upper you have to pass the 11+ taken with everyone else (easier than doing it externally, where you have to pass and 'gain' a place too, if you see what I mean). Parents will be warned if their child is in danger of not passing and they will arrange internal tutoring (at a cost).
Highgate I think they have to take the exam too? I think I saw children in the junior school uniform when picking up my son from exams.
UCS - no guarantee from the Phoenix to the Junior Branch, but senior school places then guaranteed at 11.
CLSG, I know of a girl who was told she'd have to take the exam with external candidates. Seems a bit rubbish since the only difference between her and the girl who passed the 7+ was four years of teaching at CLSG...

Don't know of any others. I think the schools are very opaque about this. On the whole, I gather that they gently 'manage' out pupils who aren't at the same level as those coming in from outside. They just want the most academic, most teachable kids and if those that come in at y7 are brighter, they'll adjust.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

All 48 of the St Albans preps come and sit with the external candidates.

I am amazed that Latymer upper charge their preps for extra help. That's a new low! DG
MrsChips

Post by MrsChips »

Well it's not Latymer Upper that charge, it's the prep. They offer up their teachers to do the tutoring for the exams.

Highgate might not select out at 11 but they certainly do at 7.

It's hard for parents. On the one hand, I think it is incomparably easier to get in to the senior schools from within. On the other, it's incomparably more awful to 'fail' to get in when all your friends are going up.

Now my son's in y6 (in a state primary) I really see the benefit of a fresh start in secondary. He and his friends need the chance to reinvent themselves as they've got stuck with all sorts of out of date caricatures of each other - you know the September born big boy is the best at football (when that's no longer the case) etc. I'd be really wary of an all-through school now, though I can see how nice it would be to avoid all the 11+ stress.
NeedWine

Post by NeedWine »

Not considering 7 plus was just curious! My DD will be going to CLSG and did hear that all of the prep girls are moving up this year with the exception of 1 who is leaving by choice (DD has a friend in the class), although had also heard it was lower in previous years.

I thought the process was different at St Albans this year, ie although the girls have always had to sit the test in previous years most knew in advance they had guaranteed places but this year no one had a guarantee. Is that wrong?
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

At Channing I understand you'll be told in year 5 if they don't think your child is suited to the senior school. I think this is a pretty standard approach. It gives some time perhaps to move in year 6 if possible. I would be very surprised if any school didn't at least warn parents that their child will struggle in the senior school, if communication has been good then I'm guessing it won't be a surprise. Sometimes of course children are moved to other schools because parents think somewhere else will be better.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Bromley High in Greater London do not test their prep school girls, they get an automatic pass through, some however will have left with 'mutual consent' if they were struggling and gone to an alternative but non-selective school. Not all who are in the junior school will stay on, some will go onto local grammar schools. The senior school is larger than the junior school so there is still a significant intake at age 11 who are not from their own junior school. The Senior school is heavily over-subscribed and so the junior school is increasingly attractive as a way in. Great marketing tool! DD really likes the school, but we are keeping options open as to next steps as fees, although being a GDST school are fairly reasonable, are a struggle.