Big difference in scores

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ashmum

Big difference in scores

Post by ashmum »

hiya all, new here!

My DD will be doing an 11+ type exam in november and again in january for an indie school. We are very early into the tutoring proess only started this week. I looked around but fell on the bond online subsription and the bond books. She has never seen a NVR paper or a VR paper before so I sat her down with paper 1 on both books at the 10-11 range. She scored 89% on the VR paper, and 96% on the NVR paper. Great I though, so the day after i did both of the books paper 2's with her this time timed, again very similar scores, so I put her on a mock paper on the online site for both topics. The results were really disappointing (aside from my disappointment with the website - all identical and very much repeated questions!) she only managed 67% with both papers.

Is this normal in anyone elses experience? the questions looked identical to me, so I am really flumoxed as to why such a big difference!

Thanks for reading x
Daogroupie

Re: Big difference in scores

Post by Daogroupie »

Which exams is she sitting?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I wouldn't worry at this stage - it is early days so those are good results. Children are often better at one than the other. Are you happy to say which schools you are looking at? Do you know that Bond are the appropriate type of papers for the schools you are aiming for? I would say that it is probably best for her to learn the different types of questions first & leave papers until nearer the time. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the questions looking identical - NVR isn't usually the same as VR, but I'm not familiar with Bond (probably not best placed to answer you at all, but I do like to join in :)). I'm sure others will be able to answer your question.
scary mum
ashmum

Post by ashmum »

Sorry i mean that she has sat two assessment papers in NVR in the book, so on paper, and then did a practice paper online, she scored 96% and 94% on the paper tests, but online she only managed 65%, alot of the questions online were identical to the questions in the book (paper) tests i gave her! (and the same with the VR too - lower scores than NVR high 80's on paper assessments but online same questions she will get 60's.)

To me it's like on paper the right answer jumps out at her, she answers each question in a couple ofseconds, but online she just can't see it.

After much research we will be applying for two local grammer schools (one in halifax and one in heckmondwike), and two independant schools, wakefield high school and rishworth school. neither school is very forthcoming on the type of test used, so I just thought start somewhere and plumped for bond, what I don't like on the bond online especially is the questions are repeated when re-doing a section, and my DD has a good memory lol..
mystery

Post by mystery »

Will her test be online or written down? Which test provider? I would practise whatever is closest to the real thing. So if it's a multiple choice paper based test set by GL assessment use their familiarisation papers and any other material that has been written to prepare children for gl papers etc.

If you are going to prepare you need to put in the research first. Ask in the relevant fora here if the schools are not helpful. If the grammars are not academies you can foi the relevant local authority with some questions about the admissions test.

Is there a local tutor mafia who keep the independent exam details a secret?!!!

I would find it harder online. You can't jot things down, cross out the answers you have eliminated etc.
Last edited by mystery on Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

If the exams are on paper, I wouldn't worry! Have you seen this section?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... re-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
ashmum

Post by ashmum »

thanks for all the advice, spoken to halifax this morning and their entrance exam is chaning for 2016, no NVR and probably no VR, just a maths test (multiple choice) and a creative writing test. Both of which she will be fine with. Heckmondwike still do VR and NVR but use CEM urgh so not a paper test! The other two use paper testing not computerised testing, again she should be fine with that. maybe i should concentrate on getting her to go online a lot more then! (apologies for all the typos the cat spilt sugar all over my laptop, quite literally sticky keys!)
mystery

Post by mystery »

ashmum wrote:thanks for all the advice, spoken to halifax this morning and their entrance exam is chaning for 2016, no NVR and probably no VR, just a maths test (multiple choice) and a creative writing test. Both of which she will be fine with. Heckmondwike still do VR and NVR but use CEM urgh so not a paper test! The other two use paper testing not computerised testing, again she should be fine with that. maybe i should concentrate on getting her to go online a lot more then! (apologies for all the typos the cat spilt sugar all over my laptop, quite literally sticky keys!)
Cem do paper based and computer based. Did heckmondwike specify computer based?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

So it seems you need to change tack. You need CEM papers and GL maths papers. DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now