Bucks appeal, 120 & 117,

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
harry

Bucks appeal, 120 & 117,

Post by harry »

My daughter is from a small school on Herts/Bucks border. Scored 120 & 117, very strong letter of support from HT, although he changed his opinion from a 3/2 to a 2/1 albeit with reasoned argument which he has expanded on in a second letter to the appeal team (young for year with huge progress in last 6 months in maturity and work standard since initial appraisal). His O of S is about 50% accurate, but it's a small class (vertical grouping school), so 1 person either way is a relatively marked percent swing. Level 5's predicted, good reports and schoolwork, 123 in NFER, feb 07. Appeal is next wednesday,principal mitigating circumstances relate to exam of 120 (2nd test), firstly it was held a day late due to school error in dates and we were working to 10th (thus she endured another broken sleep night), and during the exam, an alarm sounded for 9 minutes followed by 2 x 30" bursts, totalling 20% of allocated time. Presumably they may wish to probe about 1st test (117). We have not written about this in our statement, but there were disturbances in this exam from non interested children calling out (ie Herts kids who will upper school in that county). Not sure that's too strong. Any thoughts or advice?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Have you got a letter about the alarm? Why was the test not halted? Surely an alarm should be acted upon!!

A letter from the school stating all these circumstances - including the calling out - [again, as a teacher, I find this amazing!!] - will help - these would disrupt anyone's concentration!!
harry

Post by harry »

It is all documented by us and confirmed by the headteacher in his original appeal support letter
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Did children below your child on the OoS qualify?

I think you have a good case - emphasise the academic with the mitigating circumstances as back-up.

GOOD LUCK! I hope the school are more organised when the KS2 tests come around!!
harry

Post by harry »

thanks
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Did the group sit the test on their own in a room?

Why was there calling out ... surely pupils did not siit the 11+ if they are aiming for Herts schools?

It sounds as if the HT did not really know your child very well - the ranking should not have been done until October - have you read the HT guidance book? It might be useful 'background' info.

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/schools/leade ... anuals.asp
Lynsey

bucks 120 and 117

Post by Lynsey »

Would love to know how you fared with your appeal. We had ours today with 120 and 111 and also a very strong letter of support from the headteacher. I had assumed that we had a pretty strong case but your posting has raised doubts. I found the panel very kind and patient but quick and very tenacious with some issues.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Lynsey

If I had such different scores as 120/111, I would have expected the case to be scrutinised very thoroughly indeed ......

Good luck
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now