what if I move home

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
yplx

what if I move home

Post by yplx »

Hi

As a constant visitor of this site, you may know already that my daughter is in year 6 and has qualified for grammar school this year.

Now I have a bit complication here. I am now in the catchment area of AHS and may consider to move to the other part of Buckingham before next September (2008). Maybe Doctor Challoner. How shall I proceed the change? is it likely that I can secure a place in Doctor Chanlloner?
hugh

Post by hugh »

Well done to your daughter for qualifying.

Places are allocated in March/April, and I don't know the deadline for change of address to be considered by Bucks (ring or email them to ask), but if you move after the cut off, you child will only be able to go where there are spaces (unless you have special needs or some other grounds you can try at allocation appeal).

So you would have almost no chance of a place at Challoner's, which doesn't always have room for all those who live in catchment at the right time. However, Chesham High usually has spaces.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You will probably need to go to a selection appeal for a place - a bit risky although it will be awkward to still get to AHS so that would be one piece of evidence. However, if there are places at CHS this may be all you will get offered.
SunlampVexesEel

Re: what if I move home

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

yplx wrote:and may consider to move to the other part of Buckingham before next September (2008)
The MAY in that sentence MAY be a problem. The allocations are done on the basis of proof of address and I think that the official cut-off was Dec 14th.

After March the chances of getting a place will be really slim since the allocations will have been made, for moves before March then you really need to talk to admissions, however IMHO you will need proof of new address to have a hope.

Only my interpretation.

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
yplx

Post by yplx »

Thanks all. and Happy New year!

Yes my moving home is just 'maybe'. balance between family and work is not so easy isnt it?

I will try to communicate with the council.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Pupil numbers for last January are on:

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/schools/leade ... n_roll.asp

From this you can see that DCHS is oversubscribed in most years - this makes likelihood of transfer appeal less successful - school can argue it is already X over ......

Note last year's Y8 [current Y9] was a large cohort -

If the move is likely do contact Admissions - although they won't know allocation for September 2008 yet as appeals haven't been heard.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now