Opinions please?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kal12003

Opinions please?

Post by kal12003 »

Hi

In short, DD narrowly missed out on a Kent test pass, She was only under the required score in English. We are appealing for a grammar place which is being strongly supported by the head teacher.

I am now having doubts as to whether if the appeal is successful she will cope, She is currently 5C's across the board. Her teacher has said she may hit 5B's by the end of year but her predicted level's remain at 5C's. She has had to work hard to hit 5C and it has not come naturally as it does to some children. I guess my concern is she will be "bottom level" at grammar possibly based on this and I am so torn as to what to do!

Any opinion's or experience would be greatly appeaciated :)
tiffinboys

Re: Opinion's please?

Post by tiffinboys »

If you are offered the place and this school is otherwise suitable for your DC, then take the place, imo. I have know children with even level 4 who have flourished from yr 7 and later, when guided well by the teachers and parents and who are prepared to work on their weaknesses.
kal12003

Post by kal12003 »

tiffinboys - Thank you for your reply. I guess I am worried that she would not be able to keep up and this would destroy her confidence & result in her being unhappy but we would support her in anyway possible as we currently do. I think you are right! :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I teach in a GS (not Kent though) and lots of children come in at level 4.

The 11+ score seems to bear no relation to how well they do; that relies on their work ethic and willingness to learn.
kal12003

Post by kal12003 »

Thank you Guest55 - that is good to hear & very reassuring.

DD works hard to achieve her levels and has a good work ethic - We also do our best to support her so hopefully, if the appeal succeeds, all will pan out ok. Thanks again.
Colmans

Re: Opinions please?

Post by Colmans »

Go for it. I'm sure half the parents with DCs at grammar next year will have the same worries. Teachers in my experience are always willing to help and support the kids that work hard and apply themselves
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now