KES hair policy

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Chuggabug

KES hair policy

Post by Chuggabug »

Hi,
Does anyone know what the KES school policy is on hair length? My son has shoulder length curly mass of hair that he loves and hates even trimming. I thought he'd have to have I trimmed but someone has mentioned KES will insist he cuts it short. He'll be devastated so could do with some clarification before the school visit. Thanks!
Bloomers151

Re: KES hair policy

Post by Bloomers151 »

Hi Chuggabug,

Congratulations to your DS! I've had a look at the A-Z book we were given and it says:

"Hairstyle and general appearance of students should conform to a reasonable norm"
whatever that means!!!

I haven't seen anyone with any extremes of hair of either length and I have seen others with curls maybe similar to your DS but not shoulder length. Maybe get a bit of a trim and see how it goes?

Hope that can help in some way! What do others think?
guest201

Post by guest201 »

I think in general the schools that have policies on hair are trying to avoid skinhead type haircuts and the razored-in lines (they probably have a name) that some boys seem to like to put in their hair, and can be associated with gang culture. I think if your son's hair is a carefree mass of curls the school shouldn't have a problem with it.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Hmmmm, I'd certainly be tempted to suck it and see, BUT be ready for a request (for which read directive) to get it cut. I haven't seen anyone else with that extreme either, and I have to be honest I do think it will go against the whole appearance policy of KES, not that it isn't lovely but I suspect they would very much expect hair to be 'tame'. Think it might be time for your chap to learn about the rude awakenings in secondary school!! Such a shame if he loves it, but as I say, might be worth waiting and seeing.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Chuggabug wrote:Hi,
Does anyone know what the KES school policy is on hair length? My son has shoulder length curly mass of hair that he loves and hates even trimming. I thought he'd have to have I trimmed but someone has mentioned KES will insist he cuts it short. He'll be devastated so could do with some clarification before the school visit. Thanks!
Oh, we have that t-shirt!

Throughout primary, DS went for the surfer-dude look - long blond curls etc. This is not acceptable at KES. We tried 'on-the-collar' length in Sept to see what we could get away with, but he was told by the Head 'to get a haircut'! Very nicely, I must add. And he wasn't the only one - his friend from primary was also told. We clearly breed hairy boys around here :lol:

However, the current trend amongst the lads is very much short-back-and-sides and a floppy fringe, which DS has sported quite happily since half term - his choice; he went to the hairdressers by himself.

So following the fashion rather than school policy has won out in this house!

JD
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

As JD says, he will definitely be told to cut it as it is in the school rules.

Up until this year they even specified that it had to be shorter than collar length but no shorter than a number 4. Generally though, the rule of thumb seems to be that if you have long hair you will, without exception, be told to get it cut (and although they may be nice at the beginning, they won't continue to be, as it is against the "smart" outlook they try and portray). They are a bit more lenient this year about very short hair (although footballer type mega sculpted and shaven lines/heads are completely out!)

If I were you, I would encourage him to get it cut before he has his individual meeting with the Head in the summer term - otherwise his card may be marked from the off.... It is all part of growing up, conforming to the norm and, KES is a very special norm.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

What a pity! I can't see how long hair, if tied back, is not neat.

I had thought that the days of expelling boys (as happened to two friends) for long hair were long gone.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I'm all for it. It's a small sacrifice to pay for going to a really good school - look smart, think smart! The one thing you can always say about the KES boys is how well turned out, uniform and smart they all look...not sure the same can be said for the girls!!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Long hair can be smart if well-groomed.

Otherwise girls need to cut their hair too ...
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

kenyancowgirl wrote:I'm all for it. It's a small sacrifice to pay for going to a really good school - look smart, think smart! The one thing you can always say about the KES boys is how well turned out, uniform and smart they all look...not sure the same can be said for the girls!!
Totally agree. And so I am not completely at odds with guest, yes, I also think hair can look neat tied back and that any girls could do a better job in that regard!

I don't want to get involved in a why can't boys have. Tied back hair debate, but I will just say that if it comes under uniform, as far as I am concerned you are expected to have checked that all out before you begin choosing or trying for schools, and if you don't like the policy, don't go to the school! I am also a big fan of the 'standards' both my boys schools expect, but that isn't to everyone's taste.
Not suggesting OP shouldn't have chosen schoola s clearly they are thinking about the best way to proceed and not complaining about it as a policy.