Kent appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
stressedmum1

Kent appeal

Post by stressedmum1 »

Would really appreciation some advice or reassurance that we are doing the right thing!

My son failed the English exam gaining a score of 99(3 questions short ) He also scored 120 in Maths and 123 in reasoning.

We are appealing on extenuating circumstances due to inadequate teaching.

In year 2 he got level 3 in Maths,reading,speaking and listening and 2a in writing.
Things started to go wrong in year 3 when he had a total of 3 teachers in just that one year.We weren't given any feedback with regards to levels at the end of year 3 only his school report saying that he had made steady progress in all subjects.
In year 4 he had just one good teacher and it was at the end of that year we got his report along with some additional tracking information that we realised that he had made no progress at all in year 3 in his writing.

After a great teacher for some of year 5 and the whole of year 6 and working extremely hard both at school and at home is he is on track to gain a high level 5 in reading, level 6 in maths and a level 5 in writing in the May Sats

Basically anymore information with regards to additional academic evidence I would really appreciate.

He has always scored highly in nvr cat scores is this something that would be worth sharing

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by stressedmum1 on Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
salsa

Re: West Kent appeal

Post by salsa »

Hi, I would for it, especially if your son is making such good progress now. You need to show the panel that he is able to cope at grammar which you are doing.
Maybe someone can correct me here, but my understanding is that children are expected to make at least 2 sub level of progress per year? Maybe this is just at the school my son goes to.
Just be prepared for the panel thinking that some children, especially boys can get stuck in writing and that may explain the lack of progress. In any case, he is making progress now, so he would be able to cope.
Like you, I'm also very interested to know if the panel would view your son's ability for NVR as an overall indication of ability?
Would they not be looking at VR?
Good luck!
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

Hi !

Ok...there are a few points that spring to mind and I hope that they will be of help

Firstly...with regard inadequate teaching ...whilst I agree that it seems that your dc had suffered disruption I am not sure that I would recommend citing this as an extenuating circumstance. It is worth mentioning that there was disruption to his primary education but it is rare that a ht would confirm this in a letter of support and although appeal panels are sympathetic to this situation your dc has made really good progress in the last year or so.

Did your dc's teacher and ht say that they expected him to score far higher in the English test? If so have they stated this in their letters of support? Have they said that your dc would be do well at a grammar? Was there anything that happened during the test that might have affected the result? You mention high NVR scores-they would certainly be worth using . What about VR scores ...what are they like? If they were positive they would help support your case.

I know that you appreciate that you have a bit of a mountain to climb but if you don't try you will never know .If you are appealing for TWGSB you may already be aware that this school recognises that many boys enter year 7 with good maths skills but lower literacy skills and their provision for this is very good.

Hope this helps
Tigger
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to the forum! :D
stressedmum1 wrote:We are appealing on extenuating circumstances due to inadequate teaching.
You ought to read the Q&As. :)
    • The basis of an appeal against non-qualification should be the strength of the alternative academic evidence. You might win an appeal with strong academic evidence but no extenuating circumstances. You cannot win an appeal with extenuating circumstances but insufficient academic evidence.
I agree with Tigger. General points such as inadequate teaching tend not to work very well at appeal. Even if the general argument can be proved, it is difficult for an appeal panel to know what caused an individual underperformance.
Basically anymore information with regards to additional academic evidence I would really appreciate.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He has always scored highly in nvr cat scores is this something that would be worth adding?
Yes, but as Salsa suggests, you can't be selective with evidence. The panel will expect to see the other scores as well.
Etienne
stressedmum1

Post by stressedmum1 »

Hi,
Thank you all so much for your help.

I have been undecided whether to use his cat scores as I'm unsure whether they will help the appeal?

There didn't seem to be any particular reason for the failed English paper other than panicking about time so rushed through and then had to go back and redo some.

The school never said whether they felt he would pass the English or not as at the time his sat level wasn't at the required level so it was likely this would happen.
But we have certainly done everything we can in the circumstances to make sure he has been able to catch up.
Last edited by stressedmum1 on Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Yes our sons headteacher and chair of governors have verified all the problems with regards to the teaching as my son wasn't the only child to be affected.
Just to be clear - is anyone at the school willing to put in writing that your son was disadvantaged (especially in English)?

I'm still not sure about the causal link. If the teaching was inadequate, why is the progression in maths so good?

Isn't it the case that boys tend to be somewhat weaker at English? Your son's CAT scores (which are not directly related to the curriculum) seem to suggest this applies to him?
Etienne
stressedmum1

Post by stressedmum1 »

Thanks Etienne,

Completely see where your coming from, yes the letters state that the school faulted in both Maths and writing.

My son has always had a passion for Maths, regularly using maths programmes and workbooks at home because it's something he just loves to do. He also has raspberrypi so has since about 7 been teaching himself computer programming so I can only presume that this is why he was able to continue his progress in Maths.

Would they not take in to consideration his reading ability as part of the English evidence as he is expected to achieve a high level 5?

Thank you for your help.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I would attach the letter about the teaching problems, but not write anything about this in your submission. Let the evidence speak for itself. (Pity it mentions maths as well as writing! :? )

Have you also got evidence from the school that he is on target for level 5 in English, and do they highlight recent rapid progress?
If so, I think that should be the thrust of your case.

I would certainly include the CAT scores because the maths and NVR are so good.

At the hearing you should give a rueful, semi-apologetic smile, and say "Typical boy - much better at maths than at English - just look at his CAT scores! - but he has now reached an acceptable standard in English."
Then wax lyrical about his passion for maths!

It may or may not work - but it would be the best approach, and offers the best chance.

Don't forget to give reasons for wanting a place:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now