The Royal Grammar (independent) School becoming Free

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

WindowGlass

The Royal Grammar (independent) School becoming Free

Post by WindowGlass »

I've not seen this posted yet and I can't remember the source, but it seems certain that the Royal in Wolverhampton is converting to a free-school from September.

I guess that means it shall no longer be selective/exclusive, but should open up more choice of schooling to Blackcountry residents.
Happy dad

Re: The Royal Grammar (independent) School becoming Free

Post by Happy dad »

It has been referred to in Adams' threads - and not in a very positive light.
WindowGlass

Post by WindowGlass »

I see, but I am confused -http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 11&t=40631

I thought Wolves had the indie Grammar on Compton Road, the indie Royal on Penn Road and a state girls' grammar too, and it is the Royal going Free.
People there are commenting on WGS (Compton?) and not so much on the Royal.
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

I recall someone saying how they had attended an open day and were less than impressed with the place - might be another thread.

Personally don't really see it as an alternative to Adams' or WGS for boys. It is free because it couldn't maintain its indie status owing to falling numbers but it isn't selective and its reputation has never been great. So not really an alternative to GS in my book.
MrsPab

Post by MrsPab »

We attended the Open Day last year at The Royal. I wasn't overly impressed, and DD seemed unengaged. My understanding is that there is an entrance exam next weekend 21st March, we received an email regarding this and decided given DD's place at WGHS to not bother. I have been told by a friend of a colleague that it has had some financial issues hence the application to become a free school. For me, I personally wouldn't want my DD to be one of the first going through the school under it's new 'free school' status. It seemed very unorganised and relies heavily (and will still continue to do so) on international students who board there.
Wolves mum

Post by Wolves mum »

I went to the open day and it was terrible. very niosy classes even though teacher knew parents would be visiting and the children in senior school were quite unorganised, scruffy and nothing compared to the tour guides at grammars i have visited. Some parents left during the tour it was that bad!
WindowGlass

Post by WindowGlass »

This is really sad to hear.

What' gone wrong there?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now