SELECTION PROCEDURE

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
picasso

SELECTION PROCEDURE

Post by picasso »

My daughter is due to sit a number of independent school exams in the following two weeks. I notice that schools in the consortium all send out their offers on the 21st of Feb. Some schools offer all candidates registered, interviews, others like NLCS, South Hampstead High only offer selected candidates interviews (I guess to those who have done well in the entrance exam). I presume then that if we have not heard from the likes of NLCS and others a week after sitting the exam with an interview date then I can assume we have not been succesful.

In the case of being fortunate enough to be granted an interview is it better for both parents to go or will one do?

Does anyone have any idea of the numbers involved in these exams. I know that NLCS have two groups this year as my daughter's candidate number is in the low 90's so I am guessing that there are over two hundred sitting the exam at NLCS not to mention other girls who have applied to the school but are sitting the exam elsewhere.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.
herewegoagain

Post by herewegoagain »

I think you can assume that if you haven't heard within 7-10 days about an interview then your application won't go any further. When I visited City last year they said their pass mark (to get an interview) was around 65% but I imagine this depends on the overall standard of the group applying as they wouldn't want to interview more than 50% of applicants. I was also told that around 450 apply for the approx 65-70 places at City but obviously many of these are applying for more than one school and City may or may not be their first choice.

I'm not aware that any of the schools (certainly the ones we're applying to) interview parents so it's probably best for you to judge whether one (and which one) or both parents should go along to support your dd on the day of the interview.

Incidentally, have you noticed that the consortium require acceptance of offers by Monday 3rd March which is the day before the state school offers are known? We went through this whole process with a boy a few years ago and the boys' schools were very careful to make sure people had their state school offer before being asked to accept one from an independent. I'm not sure why the girls consortium aren't doing the same!
picasso

Post by picasso »

Thanks herewegoagain,

I'm surprised that City have said that 65% would be the pass mark for an interview, ( I know it depends on the overall standard). I thought it would be higher.

It might be worth ringing the schools regarding the date for accepting any offers that are made...I'm sure that they would wait until the state school results are known. You would have thought that they would have taken this into account.
Guest1107

Post by Guest1107 »

NLCS had about 450/500 applicants last year. I am not sure what the pass mark was but they interviewed about 150 and made offers to 2/3rds of that group as they are looking for about 70 but offer to more as they do get turned down. In years where they get more acceptances than they planned they have had 5 classes instead of 4.

In terms of interviews, only one school we applied to (St Helen's) had a meeting with parents individually and it was not an interview, more like a last chance to ask questions. We did that together as it was a Saturday.
At NLCS, a small group of parents met the Head as the girls were being interviewed elsewhere...about 6/7 sets of parents. I went to that on my own and was not the only parent on my own.
picasso

Post by picasso »

Thanks Guest1107,

My daughter has her heart set on NLCS. I have explained how tough it is to get in and the numbers you've quoted are what I would have expected. What type of questions was your daughter asked at interview, was is just general chit chat or did they throw in some mental maths or other logic type questions?
Guest1107

Post by Guest1107 »

I also know someone whose number is above 400 this year but her mum was out so will check and confirm with me later and I will let you know.

Questions in interview can be anything from having to work out Maths problems (the harder ones that I came across in preparation, came in interview rather than the exam!!!) to decribing a postcard. There are general ones like why NLCS, books, hobbies, sports etc. To be honest, I really did not prepare her for interview as I know that would have really stilted her....as she would have been trying to remember the right thing to say!! If your daughter can pass the exam, I am sure she will be able to do the maths questions given in interview.