Appeals

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Fredthecat

Appeals

Post by Fredthecat »

Does anyone knows if it is possible to appeal for schools (non selective) which is not a choice on the SCAF?

My friend's child has not been given any of his choice. They were told that 2 of the schools chosen were not in their catchment and the other 2 were grammar schools (child did not pass). Therefore they were given a school which they really didn't want.

They have already sent the pink rejection form out. Can someone advise on what to do next? Thanks.
Booklady

Re: Appeals

Post by Booklady »

Fredthecat wrote:Does anyone knows if it is possible to appeal for schools (non selective) which is not a choice on the SCAF?

My friend's child has not been given any of his choice. They were told that 2 of the schools chosen were not in their catchment and the other 2 were grammar schools (child did not pass). Therefore they were given a school which they really didn't want.

They have already sent the pink rejection form out. Can someone advise on what to do next? Thanks.
Oh dear - what I do know is that they should have accepted the school offered as now they may end up with no school at all. The council have done their bit in offering a school - the general advice is to accept that, and then proceed with appeals, waiting lists etc. I think you probably can add other schools on - but did they not phone the council first?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Strictly speaking, they should only be able to appeal for schools which they've applied for, and been refused.
If this is the LA's view, I suggest parents ask if they can change their preferences for the second round of allocations. Then, if they get refused, they can appeal.
Etienne
Fredthecat

Post by Fredthecat »

Etienne - you mentioned a second round of allocation, when and how to apply?

There is a green form for waiting list. It says on the form that you can only put your child on the waiting list of the schools which have refused you a place.

So what is the chance of getting a place in either schools when they have already refused you based on the fact that you are not in the catchment?

What happens when all fails? Where would the child go?

If the council advice is to accept and then appeal (or waiting list), why send the form to ask parents to accept or decline the place at the allocated school?

I had a look on Kent County Council website but I can't find the answers I am looking for. Perhaps I should ring them instead...
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Fredthecat wrote:you mentioned a second round of allocation, when and how to apply?
I suggest parents ask the LA now if they can change their preferences (assuming that's what they want to do).
So what is the chance of getting a place in either schools when they have already refused you based on the fact that you are not in the catchment?
I assume that means they are oversubscribed with in-catchment children? (If they were undersubscribed, they couldn't refuse just because parents aren't in catchment!)

If parents don't want to change their preferences, they can appeal. Not sure anyone can really say what their chances are - it depends on a number of factors:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... school#c20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They can also go on the waiting list. When things have settled down the LA should be able to say where they are on the waiting list. That will give them a clue as to what their chances are. However, the waiting list order isn't set in stone - it could change at any time.
What happens when all fails? Where would the child go?
I'm afraid that becomes the parents' problem, as the LA has fulfilled its obligations by offering a school place.
As Booklady pointed out, for the time being they should have accepted the school offered.
They could check with the LA to see if the offer is still available.
If the council advice is to accept and then appeal (or waiting list), why send the form to ask parents to accept or decline the place at the allocated school?
Some parents will have the offer of a school place that they no longer need. They might be moving away from the area, or they might have got a place at an independent school, or they might be 'home educating'. The LA needs clarity so that any spare places can be reallocated as soon as possible.
Etienne
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ultimately, the local authority would have to offer a place somewhere for the child but it may be no more desirable to the parents than the place they turned down.

At what date etienne does it become the "normal in-year " admission procedure so that they can just apply to any schho, be turned down and go on waiting list / appeal.

Fred, is tere any chance of being successful at a non qual appeal for the two grammars?
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

I think that for a year 7 place to be considered as an in year application the earliest date will be September.
Although I understand that the waiting lists for year 7 places are held until the last day of the summer term many school are happy to keep children who have been waiting on a list just in case a place arises.

I thought that if KCC would not allow the preferences to be changed now that they would allow this in late April (22nd?)...then once you are refused a place you can go on the waiting list and/or appeal
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

mystery wrote:Ultimately, the local authority would have to offer a place somewhere for the child but it may be no more desirable to the parents than the place they turned down.
The LA has offered a place though. The parents have rejected it. I'm not sure that the LA has a further duty to offer another place?
Fredthecat

Post by Fredthecat »

I've managed to speak to someone from the admission team.

1) We can only request to be on the waiting list for schools which we have applied and at the same time submit an appeal.

2) The dateline for submitting an appeal is 31 March. Appeals will take place between May and June.

3) For schools which are not on the SCAF, we will need to print out a form from the Kent County Council website. This form can be submitted directly to the school from 24 April 2015.

4) If we are not successful in any of those, we will have to ring the council and they will help to find the child a school.

Mystery - I dont know if the grammar schools would consider giving a place to someone who has not passed.

Has anyone been successful in such appeals?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes, non-qualification appeals can be successful - it very much depends on the circumstances, the school, the child, the appeal panel etc. go to the appeal forum for advice - Etienne's your woman!

Yes that April date sounds correct to me for being able to get late in to the waiting list and appeal process for schools that were not on the SCAF.

And yes, the authority has a duty to give the child a school place if the parent is not going to home educate - just as the parent has a legal duty to make sure the child is educated.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now