sats tests ks1/ks2

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ccl

sats tests ks1/ks2

Post by ccl »

Hi,
Are the SATS tests supposed to be age standardised? I thought they were, but I might be wrong.... In particular, I'm concerned about the writing, since the teacher is now supposed to do that without any official test at the end of the year. Must be hard for an (unexperienced) teacher to give a standardised grade (?)
Thanks
ccl

Re: sats tests ks1/ks2

Post by ccl »

Hi again,
I found the following document after a bit of searching:
https://www.gov.uk/teacher-assessment-k ... -and-tests" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"...The teacher’s handbooks and guides include mark schemes, level threshold information and age standardised scores so that you can mark the tests and attribute appropriate levels."

So, quite clearly age standardised scores are given.

Thus, will a child born in August require lower raw score than a child born in Sep to achieve eg level 3b? (assuming Sep children score better on the average than Aug children)

Or are the age standardised scores presented separately.... and a certain grade requires a certain raw score?

If the grades are supposed to be age standardised, this must be rather hard hen it comes to the "Writing" assessment.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No they aren't standardised by age.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

The standardised scores are included only for teacher information.
moved

Post by moved »

Writing is moderated, so inexperienced teachers have the support to grade. I would never let an inexperienced teacher level work without additional support.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

moved wrote:Writing is moderated, so inexperienced teachers have the support to grade. I would never let an inexperienced teacher level work without additional support.
:D

We regularly have moderatng sessions within our learning alliance, very useful, especially as we are a one form entry school. We have had several sessions to try and agree a system for "non-levels"
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

yoyo123 wrote:We regularly have moderatng sessions within our learning alliance, very useful, especially as we are a one form entry school. We have had several sessions to try and agree a system for "non-levels"
+1
ccl

Post by ccl »

Thanks for all the replies.

You are correct. (I've also confirmed with teacher+called up the info line on the web page that I mentioned above).

What did puzzle me was "....age standardised scores so that you can mark the tests and attribute appropriate levels." which COULD be interpretted as that teachers determine the age standardised score (based on child's age+raw score) and from this age standardised score attribute appropriate level. BUT what they meant was that the teachers can give the parents their child's RAW score, Age st. score and finally level and this level is purely based on the RAW score.

Thanks
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

ccl - some of the abve posters are teachers (including me) so you will get accurate answers.

I've never seen any school use those tables to give a standardised score. It is certainly not used at secondary as they are judged by Ofsted 'from starting points' which are the KS2 test levels.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

I agree with G55, I've never known a school give them to parents.
Guest55 wrote:I've never seen any school use those tables to give a standardised score.
I used to use them to help me track the progress of poor achievers - I looked for an increase in SS even if they were achieving below, sometimes well below, the level expected. It is difficult to recognise real progress or identify if a pupil is falling further behind if the only records are based on the (old) broad NC levels.