Can you take CE from a state secondary?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

shootmenow

Can you take CE from a state secondary?

Post by shootmenow »

A friend has a big dilemma!
Their DS is at a prep that goes until 13+ but is very unhappy at the prep. He has a firm 13+ offer from his first choice senior school and also has a place at a state school that is extremely sought after. Ideally, my friend would love to pull her DS from the prep for 2 years and then move him to the indie where he has the offer with the help of a CE tutor. There are financial considerations and two years without fees would be a big help.

1) Will the 13+ indie pull the offer if they leave the prep? Is there a 'gentlemens agreement' between preps and senior schools about this?

2) My friend is reluctant to take a place from another family at the state school if they will only use it for 2 years. They are accutely aware that it would be unfair. Will the state school pull the offer if the DS lets it slip that they intend to leave for the indie? This school has threatened another family of our acquaintance who accepted a place while waiting for movement on the wait list of their favoured indie when a malicious fellow parent shopped them.

3) Is it possible to tutor for CE while in a state school?

4) Would the indie offer stand if they moved preps for yrs 7 and 8? Least favoured option.

HELP. PLEASE!
loobylou

Re: Can you take CE from a state secondary?

Post by loobylou »

I don't know the answers to all your questions but I would have thought that the indie would have to honour its firm 13+ offer (assuming it's in writing and there is no small print), that the state school would not be able to do anything about someone's later intentions and that it would be relatively straightforward to sit for the CE from a state school.
However it seems somewhat unfair on the boy himself, even if he's very unhappy, to move him knowing it's only for 2 years. It's a fairly vulnerable age. What if he is really happy and loving the state school at the end of year 8? Will they still move him?
Presumably the state school is very good if it's that sought after?
If it was me I would take up the GS place and make a success of that. (With the thought in the back of my mind that, if it's really not working for him, there is a plan B. But it would very much be a plan B).
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

In theory the Indie should hold the CE13+ place for him and the state should accept him whatever, even if there is a move in 2 years time. The only concern I would have is by that time he may well be settles into the state school with a new group of friends and be more reluctant to move, especially if it is a good GS. In relation to the Indie remember they are a business who will have an eye on the numbers of bums on seats and so would be using the CE13+ places offered as a way of planning for their numbers in Y9.

In relation to the exam it would easily be possible to tutor for the exam whilst at a state school, you just need to find a tutor who has experience of the 13+ CE and not the 11+CE. I know of several teachers within the Indie sector who tutor CE on the side.
Bazelle

Post by Bazelle »

I would ask the 13+ school about this and not risk it, I have read somewhere that only prepped boys can apply for the 13+ places, I cannot remember which school it was and if all schools have the same policy though.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Deleted by user.
Last edited by Ladymuck on Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nyr

Post by nyr »

A boy from DS's state primary had an offer from QE and a 13+ scholarship place at an independent. Until the parents found a funded prep place for Y7 and Y8 they planned to take the QE place.

I think the CE syllabus may not be that different from the subjects studied at a good grammar. For example, QE students would have studied English, Maths, Science, French, Geography, History, Religious Studies, Latin, German and Mandarin Chinese. This seems to cover all subjects which have compulsory and commonly taken exams and even most of the subjects with optional exams. Of course, the detailed syllabus may not match.

nyr
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

They've made the decision to leave DS in the prep. Just too complicated to do anything else.
Some lucky family will get the place at the state school.
Thanks for all the advice!