Help choosing a bed/mattress

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

moseleymum

Help choosing a bed/mattress

Post by moseleymum »

Need to furnish two bedroom asap. Any recommendations for a good mattress? Thought I'd ask on here first rather than subscribing to Which? :)
80's girl

Re: Help choosing a bed/mattress

Post by 80's girl »

Hi moseleymum, we brought a mattress last year from John Ryan By Design. They have a website full of information absolutely everything you could ever wish to know (or not know) about matresses and were really helpful on the phone. Our budget wouldn't stretch too far so we went for their pocket 1500 and one year later we are really pleased with it.

What I really liked was their guarantee that you can try it for a month, and they have lots of good reviews. They have to do this as I believe they only trade online so no chance to test their matresses. Felt more reassured by this than a quick try before you buy in John Lewis :lol: Their customer service was really excellent and I would definitely use them again, they were one of those stand out companies you sadly don't come across too often.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

BlueSmarties

Post by BlueSmarties »

We have a Vi Spring. One of the best things we have either bought. We miss it whilst on holidays and come home to fall in love with how comfortable it is each and every time :)
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Having bought a mattress with a memory foam top section, I wouldn't buy one again.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

We have a super king size zip topped mattress. One side firm, one side medium.

You really do need to try out mattresses before you buy them, and not just for two minutes either. Although that internet one, above, seems a good deal with a month's trial. Their prices seem to start more towards the top end though, no cheap lower end prices, which is fine if they come in your price bracket.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Tinkers wrote:Having bought a mattress with a memory foam top section, I wouldn't buy one again.

It's funny how what suits one, wouldn't suit another. Eldest dd has a foam topped memory mattress. We had people stay who slept in her bed and said it was the best ever. Personally I wouldn't want one either, they seem too 'sweaty', I'm sure I'm wrong, but that's how my mind works :lol:
Amber

Post by Amber »

BlueSmarties wrote:We have a Vi Spring. One of the best things we have either bought. We miss it whilst on holidays and come home to fall in love with how comfortable it is each and every time :)
We have these too. Fantastic things.

Friends bought a very expensive memory foam mattress and had to get rid of it within a few weeks as despite wearing virtually nothing in bed they still ended up really hot. Combine this with a particular time of life in a woman and it's a bit hazardous.

I do have a pillow from this same range though (the NASA developed one) and it's brilliant. I have ongoing neck problems which it largely keeps at bay.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

We love our memory foam mattress ....
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

My life changed when replacing a v expensive mattress for a much cheaper pillow top mattress from Marks and Sparks. Fabulous. The v helpful sales person said that the one we had before had far too many pocket springs for DH and I who are normal/slight build. He said this mattress was their best seller. It's so comfy. I have chronic back problem which has been slightly better with this mattress. No need to turn it either.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now