moving to reading

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

freemum

moving to reading

Post by freemum »

Hi My two daughters got in to Kendrick.
We are planning to move near to Reading and I am not finding a good house to buy with my specs in reading. I found one in shinfield near cross field school but someone told me that the traffic is horrendous in the mornings. is that true ?. Anyone has an idea about that area?
Tinkers

Re: moving to reading

Post by Tinkers »

Yes the traffic into Reading along that road is usually backed up when we are going the other way at about 7:30!

I walk along there around lunchtime, and sometimes even then the traffic is queued back past Crosfields school too.
No sure how it affects the buses, the no 9 has changed its route because of the problems.

(It worked ok when there are roundabouts, but got changed to lights a few years ago and it's been a disaster.
freemum

Post by freemum »

thank you very much Tinkers for your information. :D
I am thinking of driving my girls to school. Are there any short cuts to schools to avoid traffic?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Tbh, not really!
Reading is horrible to drive into and out of from most directions.

If you are moving to Reading, then live nearby so they can walk would be one option. Alternatively either live near a decent bus route or near a train station on a direct line to Reading.

I worked in the town centre for a while and didn't drive in, I used the bus or did the 30 min walk. Less painful.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

You really wouldn't want to be driving in to town just for the school run - it is solid traffic every day. My DD walks from near Palmer Park and has noticed that she is often quicker than the cars alongside her.
I would look for walking distance or easy public transport as Tinkers said.
indiemom

Post by indiemom »

Don't think of driving your daughters to school in the morning, Reading is notoriously infamous regarding traffic during peak time.
Kids do take buses or trains to school which is much better option. And they also enjoy as they go with their friends chatting along.
:D
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Walking along that road today, and if it is the house I think it is you will be quite close to bus stops in both directions.
The 3 and the 9 both go along that road, although the 9 has a weird route and would go around the houses to get into town. (They reversed the route to avoid the traffic issues caused by the traffic lights). If you look on Reading buses website they have a route map as well as timetables.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Agree with all the posts re. Reading Traffic.

OP, we are looking to move to Reading (my thread - moving closer to Kendrick) so I went around different areas of Reading at different times and concluded that we either need to move in RG1 area (walking distance to Kendrick) or at a place where DD can take train to Reading. We liked Caversham and Emmer green but I don't want to bank on Bus transport. We didn't find anything we like in Rg1 yet though. or may be what we like is out of our budget. It is going to be an interesting spring/summer.

Not sure if it is good idea for a few buyers to get together and look into the big period properties (6 br +) around Kendrick/Reading (1 mile radius) to buy and have them converted into independent houses later on.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Prices are a bit killer for walking distance of school. I saw a house near me was up for sale again so, being nosy, looked it up on RightMove and it was £815k for a big semi :shock:
indiemom

Post by indiemom »

berks_mum wrote:
Not sure if it is good idea for a few buyers to get together and look into the big period properties (6 br +) around Kendrick/Reading (1 mile radius) to buy and have them converted into independent houses later on.
Very innovative idea berks_mum :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now