Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Mightymeg001

KES waiting list

Post by Mightymeg001 »

Anybody on the waiting list for KES?
overanxiousmumof3

Re: KES waiting list

Post by overanxiousmumof3 »

We were on the waiting list for KES after a borderline interview. Had email from school last week saying they were not making any offers to boys on the waiting list. Must have had their quota achieved from first offers. I think the fact that scores so high this year has meant many who didn't get into CHB have accepted offers from KES - obviously for those who can afford such a choice!
muminbrum

Post by muminbrum »

When does money first have to change hands? I imagine that there will still be some boys offered Gs placed off waiting lists in the coming weeks who may end up declining a kes place.
Mightymeg001

Post by Mightymeg001 »

Yes we got the same email. There must be a deadline for when they definitely decide they won't be looking at the waiting list.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

Mightymeg001 wrote:Yes we got the same email. There must be a deadline for when they definitely decide they won't be looking at the waiting list.
It's probably linked to how many offers they made over their normal intake.

We know quite a few people that turned down places, so they must have over offered by a fair number if they are not taking from the waiting list at all. I thought they would be quite cautious with offers. It wasnt long ago that they were taken by surprise by the number of acceptances they had, and ended up with a six form intake rather than the usual five.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

muminbrum wrote:When does money first have to change hands? I imagine that there will still be some boys offered Gs placed off waiting lists in the coming weeks who may end up declining a kes place.
When you send in the acceptance form you have to enclose a non refundable deposit of £400. The deadline for acceptance was Monday March 16th.
wildwest

Post by wildwest »

For KEHS, after giving the £400 deposit to secure the place, there was another deadline by which we needed to confirm whether or not we are going to take up the place and if we don't, we were liable to pay one term's fee. I think it was by the first day of the term before the dds were due to start KEHS. So, this date would also be a key one, accounting for those who are holding on to both indie and GS places for various reasons
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

wildwest wrote:For KEHS, after giving the £400 deposit to secure the place, there was another deadline by which we needed to confirm whether or not we are going to take up the place and if we don't, we were liable to pay one term's fee. I think it was by the first day of the term before the dds were due to start KEHS. So, this date would also be a key one, accounting for those who are holding on to both indie and GS places for various reasons

For KES, after paying the initial deposit of £400 you are liable for the first term fees unless you have given written notice by 1st May.
JaneM

Post by JaneM »

Solihull School has the same clause. FYI they go back a week later after Easter than the Bham state schools so April 20th is the date in question.

I must say given how much movement there is with the GS if you are on the waiting list for KES (and I don't think they will give out numbers will they?) then I don't think you should give up hope.

The term's fees of £4000 is a lot more to lose than £400 but if you are within a reasonable distance of getting CHB (and it is your preferred option) then you might still hang on to the KES place in the hope that your child's education could be free! So places at KES might even become available after April.

Good luck.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

Ordinarily I would also say that parents and boys shouldn't give up hope but I find it very odd that KES are saying they won't be offering from the waiting list. It's not even the end of March yet and movement is still likely on the GS waiting list so why are KES ruling it out? Have they had more than the anticipated number of acceptances from the first wave of offers?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now