Headstart EDT summer courses

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Minesh

Headstart EDT summer courses

Post by Minesh »

My son has been offered one of these Headstart Courses in Broad Based Engineering - it costs £400!! for 3 1/2 days - rather expensive I thought

Does anyone have any experience of this Company - there's strong marketing 'over 1ooo students this year have been rejected...' - I'm in 2 minds whether to accept or not - it's during July when A2 courses have begun.

May or may not make up mind about engineering - but a workplacement could do that

Any thoughts?
tense

Re: Headstart EDT summer courses

Post by tense »

I haven't heard of this company so will leave it for others to advise on that. But if your son is possibly interested in engineering, as you say, a placement would be useful, although they are probably difficult to come across for a sixth former.

Has he considered the Engineering Education Scheme; a Gold Crest award; or taking an EPQ? My DD did all of these through her school. In addition, depending on your location, he may be able to attend some Uni events - UCL have a 'science for the public' programme (& these would all be free!).
estelle

Post by estelle »

My DS has accepted a place on a Headstart course. It was £350 for a Sunday to Thursday course which as you say isn't cheap. A number of boys at his school also applied & didn't get offers. He is doing Gold DofE so, in addition to giving him some more info on university courses, it also provides the necessary 'residential element' for his DofE which we would have had to pay for anyway, so for us it seemed worthwhile.

estelle
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Thanks, estelle. Had no idea that these courses could count towards DE awards.
SteveDH

Post by SteveDH »

My DD went on one of these courses at Bristol Uni a couple of years ago, however as she had an Arkwright scholarship they paid for it for her.

I'm not sure she really learnt anything on the course, however the broad-based one she went on did prove useful in helping decide if she really wanted to do engineering and what flavour of engineering she liked as well as a sort of taste if uni life.
Also it showed Uni's she applied to that she had gone to length to confirm that engineering was for her.
moved

Post by moved »

DS went on one last year. It is the reason he is motivated to go to university. He came back full of enthusiasm and thoroughly enjoyed himself. EDT is a registered charity rather than a limited company if that helps.
Need help because of financial hardship?

We may be able to offer you assistance if financial hardship would prevent you accepting the offer of a place. However, as a charitable trust we only have limited funds and as some schools are able to help, we’d like you to ask them first if they’d be willing to support you. If you do need to apply for a bursary you must tell us when you apply and send us the supporting documents we ask for (a completed bursary form and your evidence of income etc). To download the forms you need and to understand how we’ll assess you click here.

We’re sorry, but if we do not receive the information within 10 days of your application, we won’t be able to consider you for a bursary.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now