Art or Latin

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
vasu

Art or Latin

Post by vasu »

Ds is good at both subjects. But he is not an artist per se. I know Art does not just constitute drawing and painting (as explained by irate Ds). But Latin has always been his strong subject. According to teachers of both subjects, he will do well in either subjects. He wants to take Art because is enjoys it but not particularly brilliant at it. Whereas Latin is something he will ace. So what does one choose? Subject one is good at or the one they like. Frankly I have not studied either so it is all Greek to me!!
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
Guest55

Re: Art or Latin

Post by Guest55 »

Art is VERY time consuming and the final exam means that students miss key revision lessons at the end of courses.

As long as he is aware of the workload (talk to Year 10s and 11s), let him go with his choice.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Yes Art coursework can be incredibly time consuming and loads to prepare for the exam too which could be at the expense of other subjects. DC spent ages on Art then had one evening to revise Geography! So my advice is one of time management. Art is a fantastic subject to take and great to demonstrate creativity but beware that time is spent equally on all subjects.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I would go for Latin. Art is a terrible timesink. Students in my dd's year spend every break and dinnertime in the artroom. I was so glad my dds were not interested in it. Art can undermine all the other subjects as it is a time devouring monster! DG
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Latin definitely

(Son doing both!)
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Latin - very useful to have a grounding in this long term and is seen positively as a very academic subject. If he likes Art (but doesn't love it) and is good at it (but isn't brilliant at it) then, I suspect,the workload will soon have him hating it...

If he takes Latin, he can still "do" Art in his own time, to his own pace, to his own interest and still "enjoy" it as a hobby....
mad?

Post by mad? »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Latin - very useful to have a grounding in this long term and is seen positively as a very academic subject. If he likes Art (but doesn't love it) and is good at it (but isn't brilliant at it) then, I suspect,the workload will soon have him hating it...

If he takes Latin, he can still "do" Art in his own time, to his own pace, to his own interest and still "enjoy" it as a hobby....
+1. DD chose art, loves it and is very good at it so the right choice for her. Also no need to miss any revision lessons at her school nor at the two that some of her friends attend but...to do it well takes love and time. I think some of her friends, who do not have that passion, are regretting their decision. Good luck.
mad?
vasu

Post by vasu »

Just wanted to update. Ds took Latin in the end. He had a talk with with his form tutor in the end. And weighing all the pros and cons, he took Latin. Having said that, I am so proud of him to take this decision with lots own research rather than getting in peer or parent's pressure.
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
Amber

Post by Amber »

vasu wrote: I am so proud of him to take this decision with lots own research rather than getting in peer or parent's pressure.
And be proud of your parenting too - so much better- but not always easier - than wading in and telling him what to do.

The added bonus is that if he comes to regret it (I don't think he will - Latin is a great subject) he can't turn round and blame you! :twisted: