Rickmansworth school?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mummy3

Rickmansworth school?

Post by Mummy3 »

My daughter has been offered a place at Ricky on the wait list. We had accepted a place at our local high school (haydon) which we are v happy with. Now confused if we should accept Ricky or not. Haydon is closer and a good school. Ricky is a grammar school but does that mean my child will do better there?? Not sure as I feel she will do well wherever she goes. V confused. Would love a review from a Ricky parent.
renzokuken

Re: Rickmansworth school?

Post by renzokuken »

Mummy3 wrote:My daughter has been offered a place at Ricky on the wait list. We had accepted a place at our local high school (haydon) which we are v happy with. Now confused if we should accept Ricky or not. Haydon is closer and a good school. Ricky is a grammar school but does that mean my child will do better there?? Not sure as I feel she will do well wherever she goes. V confused. Would love a review from a Ricky parent.
If you've been offered Ricky then your daughter place at Haydon has been reallocated to other people I believe.
Mummy3

Post by Mummy3 »

No I don't think so. I have 10 days to accept the offer. I'm presuming I still have the haydon place till I decide on Ricky. I got a letter from Ricky stating my local authority would have notified me of their offer and I have 10 days to decide. Have not heard anything from the local authority! Will look into it on Monday
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Presumably you put Ricky above the school you have now, so think about why you did that.

I don't think Ricky is a GS, just partly selective?
Mummy3

Post by Mummy3 »

Your right just partly selective. I didn't think we had any hope if getting in as we live a bit of a distance. I knew we would get haydon as I live within walking distance. I put Ricky above knowing I would get haydon. Hope that makes sense. Just confused now.
Hera

Post by Hera »

I don't know much about Haydon other than that I have heard it is very good, Ricky is also an excellent school ( I don't have kids there but I know many who do). I think you should not under estimate the benefits of going to a school close to where you live and If there is little to choose between the schools this could perhaps be a key factor?
Mummy3

Post by Mummy3 »

Does anyone know how long the walk is from rickmansworth station to the school?
copella

Post by copella »

Are you not able to try the journey out with your dd to see if the journey is worth it?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

How does your DD feel about the two schools? She is the one who is actually going to be going there every day.

I don't know the area, I'm afraid, but the Rickmansworth school website seems to think that Croxley Green station is a ten minute walk away, Rickmansworth station fifteen.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Mummy3

Post by Mummy3 »

I'm going to go and see the school this week and let dd decide how she feels about it. Will also check out the journey etc.. Their gcse results are better than haydon. I'm torn between a good local school within walking distance and this one that's a grammar with slightly better results. Step one is to see if dd likes it I think.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now