Holiday abroad before 11+ exams

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

enema

Holiday abroad before 11+ exams

Post by enema »

Hi, does anyone have any experience of how a holiday abroad - doing no 11+ prep in that time - in the 6th and 5th weeks before the exam impacts upon DC's performance? I know a total break is always good but am wondering how long it takes to get back on top of where learning left off? Exams in first week of Sept, wondering how a 2 week trip away from last week of July + first week of Aug will affect things.
copella

Re: Holiday abroad before 11+ exams

Post by copella »

We went on holiday at the same time as you are proposing and although we scaled down the work ds2 still did the 10 min papers to keep his brain cells alive. I think it did him good and we scaled back up on return.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Be aware that others will be rampingup in that time while you go backwards by not doing anything. It would be very easy to continue working while you are away. 11 plus work is very portable. DG
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Another vote for keeping it to 10 minute bond papers. Keeps things ticking over but without spoiling holiday. We did this on our camping trip, seems long time ago now! Worked though. And actually we did absolutely nothing, nada, zilch in 10 days leading up to exam, just by the way.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

We had taken time off too. But had books to read and 10-20 minutes test papers.
enema

Post by enema »

Thanks for the replies. I'm worried that my child would refuse flat out to do any work on holiday. To those suggesting the 10 minute tests, is that per subject - Maths, VR, NVR - ie 30 mins a day, or just literally one 10 min test per day?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

If the school has worked them until the last day of term then they need a total break for a few days.

It depends on which tests you are sitting for and how competitive the tests are. I would have a complete break and then just do some reading and lots of talking. You might get them to keep a diary but learning in different ways can refresh those 'grey cells'.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Just 10 - 20 minutes per day. We had VR/NVR/Maths. Tests have changed now.
Last edited by tiffinboys on Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
copella

Post by copella »

Like tiffin boys we did 10-20 mins each day first thing. Different things each day. I think I even got him to write a 20 min story. None of us could stomach more than that and it was our holiday after all.
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

Most of our prep was in summer hold anyways; thesecexams are tutor proof anyways.