Kendrick Open Evening - 30 April 2015

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
rainbowcarousel

Kendrick Open Evening - 30 April 2015

Post by rainbowcarousel »

Hi,

I see the Kendrick Open Evening starts at 5pm on 30 April 2015. Could anyone who went last year (or previous years) tell me how extensive the school tour is?

Although the evening is intended for current year 5 girls, I'm thinking of taking my DD. She has a place to start this Sept but hasn't actually been round the school, only into the classroom for the test (my bad, but we really weren't planning to enter her for it so missed our chance!).

Thought this might be useful for her.

Thanks
Tinkers

Re: Kendrick Open Evening - 30 April 2015

Post by Tinkers »

The tour will be as extensive as you want it to be. The second year we went, you could grab a map and make your own way round, or get a guide. They will take you everywhere you want to go. No one asks for ages etc.
rainbowcarousel

Just what I wanted to hear, thank you!
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Just steer your tour guide to the level of detail you want. My DD only managed 2 or 3 tours last year in 2 1/2 hours as the people she was showing round all wanted to see everything.
The Kendrick girls are divided up with yrs 7/8/9 covering the 5-6:45pm slot and the older girls doing the later slot. If you want to meet with the younger current pupils you need to be there quite early.
BlueSmarties

Post by BlueSmarties »

Of course there's no stipulation on who can or can't go, but your daughter will get a chance to go around the school on her induction day - as will you during the parents' evening 2 days later. It was incredibly busy the year that we attended, so I might be of the opinion that if I don't have to go then I'd avoid the crowds - it's a real crush.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

OP, thank you for starting this thread. My DD is very interested to go and have a look. Last year it was bit of a rush and the perspective was different and probably it was the first open evening we attended. She says now she will look at everything with a different view. We were planning to go but I am also considering the point BlueSmarties made i.e she will have a chance on her induction day and avoid the crowd.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

The school feels very different on a normal day compared to open evenings when it is stuffed to the gunnels.
rainbowcarousel

berks_mum wrote:We were planning to go but I am also considering the point BlueSmarties made i.e she will have a chance on her induction day and avoid the crowd.
I think this is a good point, however my DD has not actually been into the school properly yet (only for the test)! Also, if the tours are in small groups she may get the chance to ask basic questions of a nature that, if left until the induction day, she might feel she should already know the answer to.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now