The teenage brain (well, by daughter's one...)

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
2Girlsmum

The teenage brain (well, by daughter's one...)

Post by 2Girlsmum »

It is normal for a child to turn irrational and condescending overnight despite reaching almost 15 without any classic signs?
salsa

Re: The teenage brain (well, by daughter's one...)

Post by salsa »

Hi,
I hope things settle soon. Every child is different. Maybe she has relationship problems? Here is something you may find useful.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... nage-brain" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ted.com/talks/sarah_jayne_bl ... anguage=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not easy, I don't have a teenager yet, but I remember being a difficult one!
mad?

Post by mad? »

2Girlsmum wrote:It is normal for a child to turn irrational and condescending overnight despite reaching almost 15 without any classic signs?
Yes.

(but she can turn back overnight as well...on and off like a light bulb IME). Glass of wine 2Girlsmum :D
mad?
Amber

Post by Amber »

2Girlsmum wrote:It is normal for a child to turn irrational and condescending overnight despite reaching almost 15 without any classic signs?
Absolutely. And I think you'll find it's all your fault. :roll:
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

:lol: :lol:

Last night we got our 'tweens' to watch the Professor Winston Human Body from 2001, the one on teenagers. Absolutely fascinating. But no help whatsoever in coping with this angle!!
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

Thanks everyone. I just had to sound off somewhere! I might watch the episode on teenagers with her and her 11 year old sister. It's funny the change, which reminds me of the Harry Enfield teenage boy character's overnight transformation:) Luckily it's just moody and stroppy behaviour at times though.
copella

Post by copella »

It hit both mine when they reached 13 and it really was overnight. From nice cuddly children who would sit with us and hold conversations to rude and obnoxious teenagers. The 16 year old now seems to be turning back to normal. I asked him to clean his room the other day and he said yes and did it without complaint. I nearly collapsed. In the past I had to gear myself up for the onslaught. Whilst the youngest seems to be gearing himself up for full scale war where the slightest suggestion necessitates him moving his arms, rolling his eyes and grimacing :(
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Sometimes when I moan about my teen I'm reminded that they are a phase in their lives where they really are different to other stages. Not only their hormones but school angst and friendship worries but also their hearing. I'm so glad my local corner shop didn't have one of these when I was younger!

http://www.movingsoundtech.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So much of what teenagers do, they really can't help. Doesn't mean to say we have to tolerate too much of it though of course :lol: