Supporting Evidence - Independent School Academic Scholarshp

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
concernedOne

Supporting Evidence - Independent School Academic Scholarshp

Post by concernedOne »

Hi,

Planning 11+ appeal since DS failed to qualify. Have strong ed. psych. report and good supporting letter from present Head. DS did however get awarded an academic scholarship at a local independent school (but even with this, we can't afford the fees). The question is: for his appeal, should we use his offer of an academic scholarship at indep. school as extra supporting evidence, or would the panel be unimpressed by that? Even worse, they might conclude that we should just send him to the independent school, and be unsympathetic.

Thanks for advice.

CO.
DC17C

Re: Supporting Evidence - Independent School Academic Schola

Post by DC17C »

Hi - thought I would reply as no -one else had. i had this situation 2 years ago and I just included the offer letter in with my evidence but did not refer to it other than to list it in the evidence. It was either not referred to at all or if it was then I went on about the change in circumstances around why we could not take the award up - appeal was successful though.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I wouldn't include it because the offer doesn't mean GS suitability. Private school standards vary enormously ...

You need KS2 levels or CAT scores which are national measures.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi CO

there is a bit about this in the FAQ http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; although this refers to other 11 plus exams, I suppose it is also relevant to indie schools and scholarships.

Ultimately it comes down to how competitive / academic the independent school is. Some schools offer lots of small academic / sports / arts scholarships etc to students however often they are not enough to tip the balance in people taking up a place, particularly when they add up all the remaining costs. If the academic award was won by further assessment eg another test / interview etc and the school is known for being academic then I would do as DC17C did, include it but your main case should be the other evidence.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Ultimately it comes down to how competitive / academic the independent school is.
I agree with Herman - if, and only if, the independent school is known to be very prestigious and highly academic, then it would be worth a mention, even though direct comparisons aren't possible.

Just assuming for the moment this were to be the case, I'm not sure I would highlight it in the written case, though. A very casual mention during the hearing would be better, if a suitable opportunity arises. For example, panels often seem to enquire about alternative schools (I wish they didn't!).
Etienne
concernedOne

Post by concernedOne »

Thanks, DC17C, Guest55, HermanMunster and Etienne for your kind advice.

Best Wishes, CO.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now