class of 2015, where are we?...so quiet

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Happyface

class of 2015, where are we?...so quiet

Post by Happyface »

So so much silence over here, which I find sad because after following this great forum for some time now, this is OUR year, but unfortunately, not much activity in the trafford section.
would be great to share how are we all doing/coping... Is it common to feel demotivated at this stage? Does anyone feel like it's a constant battle?
Olliesmum

Re: class of 2015, where are we?...so quiet

Post by Olliesmum »

I think the nearer we get to September...the more daunting it becomes. Like many people on here (I assume!), I feel my DS is NOWHERE NEAR ready for entrance exams in September! He is a typical 10 year old, with no interest at all in homework! I am really struggling to get him to do any NVR, VR or Maths! He would much prefer to be on the XBox or out playing with his friends..
SashaO

Post by SashaO »

Hi Happyface, Olliesmum,
I know how you feel :) Its a battle for me too.
We are trying hard but i feel it is never enough. And i totally dont know how dissapointed I will be if we dont pass!!!
I cant even imagine which school to choose if grammar is failed.
What scholls are you planning to get into? We will do exmams for AGGS, Sale and Loreto.

Also we are going to the tutor but i feel she is not pushing my DD too hard :( :roll:

Do you have tutors and how much are you studying?
Brainfreeze

Post by Brainfreeze »

Hi people,

I agree Happyface, we are a quiet bunch aren't we!? I suspect the forum may get more active soon as we get closer to the date.

Our progress this far is mixed. DS very self motivated so usually works when I ask him to. Although I do get the sighs and rolling of the eyes sometimes as would be expected I suppose.

We started in sep doing bond maths and gl ass guides for VR and NVR. Completed those just after christmas and now working through GL Ass past papers. The plan is supposed to be 3 sessions a week. 1 to do a past paper, 1 to go through corrections and 1 to cover English type prep like learning vocab and practising creative writing.

In practise it's not really worked out that way as social life and work etc have been a bit hectic lately. I think from now on I need to be a bit more serious about sticking to the schedule as I would like to back right off as we get to couple of weeks before the exams.

He is doing well but still does make silly mistakes which I mark with SM on his answer sheets. Today he lost 8% on VR paper due to SMs. He was annoyed about it so hopefully he may double check more in the future.

I notice the application form has gone up on the AGBS website with info about 2 parent info evenings on 22nd and 27th April.

How is everyone else doing?
SashaO

Post by SashaO »

Hi,

AGGS still doesnt have an update :(

Also exam date not posted yet however as I understand Sale and AGGS have joint exam so we need to sit only one.

We are starting to do GL books now. Befere had only Bond and WHSmith. Sometimes we are getting around 95% but sometimes 75-80%.
Working full time doesnt help too. Wish could heve more time and spend more time with DD :( But she is quite rsponsible by herself so hope we succeed.
Brainfreeze

Post by Brainfreeze »

AGGS exam date is the same as the boys so will be Saturday 12th Sep.

I didn't realise they used same exam as Sale.

Sounds like you are doing great with your DD. Can't be easy with working full time!
SashaO

Post by SashaO »

Thank you Brainfreeze :)

As I know last year there were 2 different exams but this year as below:

Applications to Sale Grammar School & Altrincham Girls Grammar School
Sale Grammar School and Altrincham Girls Grammar School are using the same entrance test and consequently your daughter can only sit one test. However, parents can request that the raw scores are shared with both schools for inclusion in their standardisation

Only im confused why it doesnt work for ABGS too? Are AGGS and ABGS exams different?

Are you planning to do Mock exam?
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

ABGS had their wrists severely slapped by an independent adjudicator for trying to scrap NVR and put English in it's place on grounds of the change was discriminatory to those with English as second language.

once bitten twice shy ?

are AGGS moving towards CEM?

if so ,would be a mistake imo , it favors middle class families who have access to books at home and do not have to learn 2-3 languages simultaneously.

most CEM candidates know 200 odd words of advanced vocab words but have no idea about where to put them ?

not tutorable, don't make me laugh , it's like saying GCSE/A levels are not tutor-able, they must think we are stupid :roll:
workerbee

Post by workerbee »

Hi SashaO and Brainfreeze
Thanks for the update it is really useful information. Can ask please SashaO where did you get the information that Sales and AGGS are using the same exam hence your daughter can only sit one exam, is it on one of the schools websites anywhere or have you spoken directly to the schools?
Thxs
workerbee

Post by workerbee »

Hi - Just found the exam info on Sale website.

Just looked and Sale exam is on the Monday 14th Sept, my daughter is at AGGS and the term dates indicate they have an inset day off school on Monday 14th Sept- too much of a coincidence!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now