Verbal Reasoning

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sparkle

Verbal Reasoning

Post by sparkle »

Hello

Did anyone tutor their children according to the IPS types for VR? I only taught types not including HIKNOS. I have since been told that type **** the paper? Has anyone else been told of this?
Many thanks, hope this makes sense!!!!!

Edited by patricia, I was unaware that other children had not sat the test, have also deleted my reference to this post
jacko

VR

Post by jacko »

Hello. Can you please explain in english what you are discussing here? My DD said that there was a whole section in the VR that she didn't know despite having a tutor for a year and working with both Bond and NFER papers and it was something to do with compound type words.

Is this what you're discussing? Has there been some kind of change to the type of questions this year?

VR has always been my DD's strongest paper regularly getting 98-100% in the papers but she didn't manage to finish on Tuesday and had to guess the last 5 questions. Has something altered that we didn't know about?

Thanks for your help.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I am seeing one of my pupils tonight, so I'll grill him!

Don't feel too despondent though, even though there may have been a type of question that they were unfamiliar with they have been training their brain to work out problems and this would have helped.

The instructions are on the paper and so although they may have had a brief setback they will most likely have been able to have a good go at it.

I didn't even know there the specific categories until recently and my own children definitely didn't. To me the benefit of tetoring/coaching/help is that it gives you the confidence to approach problems.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Jacko - When my dd sat her first 11+ in November she came out saying that there was NOTHING in the math paper that she was expecting. It was NOTHING like the NFER and Bond maths!
She passed with flying colours despite insisting she guessed loads and didn't have a clue what she was doing.
When we found out she passed and she had had time to reflect and take it all in she said "actually it wasn't as bad as i made out thinking about it, it was just the last page that was I couldn't attempt"

I imagine its a similar thing with your daughter! Fingers crossed for you and your daughter.
jacko

VR

Post by jacko »

thank you for your encouragement. Role on march 3rd!!
denis denis

Post by denis denis »

Jacko - my son also said that "everyone" had to guess the last 5 VR questions as no one knew how to do them.

I am trying not to read too much into anything he says and will try to put it to the back of my mind now!
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

Disgraceful. NFER/Kent LEA setting questions that test the intelligence and reasoning of candidates, and not how thoroughly they've been drilled and coached. Should'nt be allowed. :roll:
worried dad

Post by worried dad »

Does anyone exactly what type of questions these were and if they are covered by The Tutors VR course?

Thanks
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

Is it appropriate at this stage to identify and detail these questions. There are still many out of County/independent candidates yet to take the exam, and for whom there is still opportunity to be coached and tutored in, it seems, a bloc of questions. Thereby significantly prejudicing those candidates that have alredy taken the exam, and had to work out the questions for themselves.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

absolutely.

I am sure that a child who is of grammar school ability would be able to work out the unfamiliar questions even if they were taken aback at first, so don't worry too much

They are after all testing the reasoning skills.

Dad of kent is right , there are still children who have to take teh test, so can we please leave detailed discussion until after the out of county tests.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now