Southend boys-30 extra places allocated

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Taximum

Southend boys-30 extra places allocated

Post by Taximum »

Hi, just seen in the paper that SHSB have secured funding for building expansion and have said that they have been able to offer an extra 30 places for September entry. Just wondered if anyone knew if the places were for in or out of catchment?
ToadMum

Re: Southend boys-30 extra places allocated

Post by ToadMum »

Taximum wrote:Hi, just seen in the paper that SHSB have secured funding for building expansion and have said that they have been able to offer an extra 30 places for September entry. Just wondered if anyone knew if the places were for in or out of catchment?
The admissions rules say that up to 125 places are for in catchment boys and a minimum of 25 for ooc. Therefore all of the 30 would go to ooc. Looking at the collated cut-off info for this year posted by Blitz, ic boys with 311 didn't get a place, so unless the school changes that criterion to a percentage (which should give 150:30 and therefore another 25 max ic, 5 min ooc) rather than absolute figures there will be some pretty disgruntled year 6s locally. Even if they put Westcliff second and have got in there, presumably they wanted Southend for a reason. (When DS1 was applying for secondary school, though, WHSB wasn't even on his CAF, because he didn't want to go there). Not sure that that wouldn't require consultation, though?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
FlightyRachel

Post by FlightyRachel »

Rumour has it that they are taking 25 in catchment and 5 out.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

FlightyRachel wrote:Rumour has it that they are taking 25 in catchment and 5 out.
Yes, I've been led to believe that my take on the wording of tho admissions criteria may be incorrect - but it's definitely not what happened with the extra 30 last year as there were IC boys who were on the waiting list and should have been offered places if they had been offered as up to 25 IC, 5+ OOC, but weren't..
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

Last year when they added the extra 30 boys my son was out of catchment and 21st on the waiting list with a score of 332.9. He was offered a place and accepted, therefore I would presume that most of the 30 places were for out of catchment children.
Saltylerjoel

Post by Saltylerjoel »

2 of my ic friends have now received a SHSB place offer (they were originally offered their 2nd choice of WHSB on offer day), so it does look like the extra 30 places are made up of 25 ic & 5 ooc.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

There is likely to be a great deal of movement in the WHSB list too.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Saltylerjoel wrote:2 of my ic friends have now received a SHSB place offer (they were originally offered their 2nd choice of WHSB on offer day), so it does look like the extra 30 places are made up of 25 ic & 5 ooc.
Do you know what their scores and waiting list positions were?
Saltylerjoel

Post by Saltylerjoel »

ToadMum wrote:
Saltylerjoel wrote:2 of my ic friends have now received a SHSB place offer (they were originally offered their 2nd choice of WHSB on offer day), so it does look like the extra 30 places are made up of 25 ic & 5 ooc.
ToadMum wrote:
The higher of the 2 was 309 something. I can't recall the position on the waiting list but I think it was between 15th & 20th.
FlightyRachel

Post by FlightyRachel »

Just thought I would pop what I now know here in case anyone was interested (I'm thinking more about next year than this). We went to the OC meet up today and there actually weren't that many boys there. The school said that they'd taken the minimum 30 this year. I could only find 2 other boys from the Chelmo/Maldon/Dengie area... I guess most are now gaining I/C places at KEGS (or places at CRGS) with similar scores to those needed for an OC place at SHSB. Most boys were from along the Liverpool St line. Thought this might be helpful for anyone considering SHSB next time around.