Bexley tests 2008. What is happening???

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bexleymother

Bexley tests 2008. What is happening???

Post by Bexleymother »

I know that the tests are to take place in the third week of the autumn term and will involve VR and NVR only. What I don't know is whether this is what Bexley borough think should happen or whether it has definately been decided. Also, I want to purchase the 11 plus CDs asap but don't know if Bexley are going to stick with NFER and will they even bother telling us? Any help or advice much appreciated. Thanks :?
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Hi. I'm a school governor in Bexley and one of my fellow governors is a a Councillor who confirmed to me last week what you say, ie that Bexley Council are definitely going to go for just NVR and VR and that the tests will be in September (can't remember if he said second or third week).

I've not heard any suggestion that they will be moving away from NFER. I know it will be a bit worrying for you being the first to do the tests in the new format. If I were you I'd get on to the LEA and ask them - and keep badgering them until they give you an answer. I'll do some digging myself and post a message if I can find anything out.

Your school should arrange a meeting for parents with a representative from the LEA to answer any questions about the 11+. Unfortunately, from my experience, this tends to be too close to the tests themselves (for my son in year 6 we had the school meeting in September and the tests were in November).

Good luck.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

IGNORE MY LAST POST!!! You set me thinking so I rang up the LEA myself. Apparently, while it has been agreed to reduce the number of tests to 2, the content is by no means yet agreed. While the proposal was to have just VR and NVR apparently there has been a lot of pressure from parents for these to include elements of Maths and English. They are in discussions with NFER as to what format the 2 tests should take and hope to reach a decision "as early as possible" as they are getting lots of calls from parents of children in Year 5. The person I spoke to couldn't say definitely that the new tests would be set by NFER but as that is the body Bexley is in discussion with it would seem likely.

Any developments will be posted on the Council's website, but if you have a specific question, you could email direct on selectiontests@bexley.gov.uk and they will respond to you.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Thanks for the info, Bexley Mum 2.
Bexleymother

Post by Bexleymother »

Thank you. Excellent info. Sorry, I've been away so didn't reply.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now