Dates for this Year

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Wish Upon A Star

Dates for this Year

Post by Wish Upon A Star »

Yr6. child brought home 11+ documentation from school yesterday. Dates set for 29/11 & 6/12/05. {Wirral area}.

Tutoring/practising daily from home. In need of moral support from other parents as test date looms!!!

Anyone else in same position?

Wish Upon A star.
Carri B

Yr 6 Dates

Post by Carri B »

Yup - we are in London Borough of Sutton - went back to school today and daughter came :shock: home w :shock: ith all the 11+ plus stuff - help!!
James

Post by James »

My second time around (N.London). Son got through, now daughter's turn.

All I can say is that it's rough but doing a bit of practice a day at this stage puts you at a big advantage. A surprising number of parents put their kids in underprepared, so the stats on applications to places is often not as bad as it seems.
Wish Upon A Star

Less Maths on 11+

Hi Carri B & James.

Our Head Teacher held a meeting last week to talk us through the 11+ system. I also have 2 older children who are both already at Grammar School and yet have found that the system has changed somewhat over the past five years.

There appears to be less Maths now unfortunately, which my son doesn't mind {although apparently 'sequencing' is often present} and that the papers now seem to be more Vocabulary based.

My son hates 'codes' and gets confused and frustrated doing them. There only ever seems to be approx.6 code questions on each paper though and he is pretty accurate in most other question types, so I'm hoping if he drops a few marks with the codes then he'll still be OK.

I'll be so relieved when it's all over and done with !

Trying to keep up the positive momentum is exhausting. Especially when you have to tell a 'white-lie' to your own child by saying "Just do your best and it doesn't matter which school you are allocated as they are all good"!

Good luck with the 'home tutoring'!

Wish Upon A Star :roll:
James

Post by James »

Hi W-U-A-S and C.B.,

Your current school may be more helpful than ours, which, even at this stage loads my daughter with long and irrelevant homeworks (current is a large project on Ancient Greece), when I'd rather they set her something potentially useful like story writing (which will be part of her English exams).

The problem of older sib at Grammar is tough as it will be the comparison that will crush my daughter as much as anything else if it goes badly. She is not convinced at all by my white lies - the most constructive argument is that some of her friends will not go to the Grammar.

Daughter like codes but maths is tough, so you are lucky - even reduced amounts of maths can be make-or-break as the scores vary vastly.

Sounds like you're doing everything right, and as you imply, I think it's the persistence that is the gives you the best chance.

All the best!
Wish Upon A Star

Yr6 Homework

Hello James,

Thanks for your reply & support!

Re. Yr.6 homework, my sons primary has FINALLY 'cottonened on' to the fact that this term, being in a selective education area {not many of these areas left in the North West of England where we live}and with the 11+ looming fast, homework is thankfully, restricted for this term at least, to just Maths/Times Tables & English/Reading/Spellings for only two evenings a week, leaving plenty of opportunity for 11+ preparation at home or from a private tutor.

No projects will be set until after the 11+ has taken place, as the Head Teacher and Yr6 Teacher have both realised that the poor children were, in the past, inundated with demands for school work & excess study. Not good for young children who also have their various after-school sports and clubs to attend!

I empathise with you and your daughter having projects to complete on the run up to the 11+, as having two older children and having done varoius Victorian, European Country and Space projects when they were in Yr6, I know that at age 10 or 11, a good informative project is only acheived with a vast amount of parental guidance & time !

The joys of paretnting never cease. :?
Karen

Sutton

Post by Karen »

Message for Carri B

Hi was wondering if you are using a tutor can you recommend anyone my son has the 11+ next year in Sutton.
James

Post by James »

Hi W-U-A-S,

Thanks - your message has convinced me to write to the school again (I did a couple of years ago, but now has a new Head)!

Also, huge relief today :D to find daughter stays in top maths group this term!
These small triumphs keep us going.

Anyway, don't want to take up too much webspace, but happy to swap occasional thoughts on 11+ practice strategies via email if you want .

Otherwise, good luck!

J
Wish Upon A Star

Thanks James

Oh dear ! Hope I haven't caused any trouble between you and your local primary now ! lol :oops:

I see the results are due to be sent out on 1st March '06. Hopefully by 2nd March it will be 'mission accomplished'!

GOOD LUCK to your daughter.

Cheers.

W-U-A-S :roll:
sleepless

Post by sleepless »

If it was anything like "results day" this year it will be more like "mission impossible"!!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now