Commuting from Orpington to Skinners' anyone?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

doodles

Re: Commuting from Orpington to Skinners' anyone?

Post by doodles »

Hi all, I'm a newbie to this forum so hello everyone. I'm wondering if anyone's ds' commute to Skinners' School from Orpington station, or know of any boys who does this commute. If so, do the boys travel in groups and do they get off at High Brooms and then walk, or get off at Tunbridge Wells station and walk/bus it? What time train do they normally get?

In theory - if I drop him off at the station at 7:30, he can get the 7:39 train heading towards TW.

Thank you in advance.

Not sure if Badgers' Mount is any good for you but the Go Coach Hire 402x runs from there all the way down to Bennett and stops outside Skinners. Good reliable service using Freedom Pass and very sociable!!
doodles

Re: Commuting from Orpington to Skinners' anyone?

Post by doodles »

Many thanks for the information doodles - very useful. I found the timetable and it looks like the journey may be around an hour from Badgers' Mount to Skinners'. Also I would need to drive to Badgers' Mount - that's 10 mins or so.

As I work full time in London, I think it would be easier to go to Orpington station with ds so he gets the 7:39am but I'm not sure if he should get off at High Brooms (quiet road, uphill etc), or at Tunbridge Wells (walk or hop on a bus etc). I think 30 mins on a train is more comfortable than an hour on a bus - although I don't suppose my ds would notice any difference anyway...

I'm looking to see if there are other boys from Orpington who does this commute :)

Tunbridge Wells is probably a better bet on a day to day basis, there will be loads of lads making the walk plus if the weather is foul it's easy to hop on a bus upto school from outside of the station. On games days when they are at Southfields they tend to walk down to High Brooms as it's very close.

Hope he enjoys it, my lads are in Yrs 11 and 8 and are very happy there.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now