To tutor or not to tutor...

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
khanji17

To tutor or not to tutor...

Post by khanji17 »

Hi All,

This is my first post on this forum about something I am very VERY confused about these days.

My DD will be giving her 11 plus this year from Birmingham, I have friends who got their child tutoring for years and I have been working with Bond books for my DD myself at home. I am well educated, my daughter loves reading books and reads everyday. We have been practising English, Maths, VR and NVR for more than a year.

The only thing I am confused and worried about is how necessary is it to send her for tuition and would she be able to succeed without formal tuition? She is in the top set for all the subjects at school. She finds it hard to manage her time during the tests that I need to work on, but there might be things that I am missing and an experienced 11 plus tutor would know to prepare her better for.

Any advise would be deeply appreciated. :D
tiffinboys

Re: To tutor or not to tutor...

Post by tiffinboys »

If you know the format of the test and have knowledge about the level needed to score enough to get the place in your preferred schools, then you don't need the tutors.

If you go for tutor, then find some one who is up to date and has good track record. And even if you engage tutor, don't ever leave it on tutor alone. You still have to engage with the preparation for the test.

All the best and Good Luck to your DC.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Patricia's post for DIY tips (in Bucks section) would also be a good start.
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

I home tutored both daughters for the North London Superselectives, and they both did very well. I personally preferred it, because it meant I knew EXACTLY where they were with the different subjects (Maths, English, VR, NVR and CEM)
mystery

Post by mystery »

I never found a tutor better than me! :oops: But, I had the benefit of this website too and finding out correct information for myself. A lot of parents and a lot of tutors just do something which looks approximately right rather than focusing on what the particular exam requires and the particular child needs. I agree with DAO and others above.

Good luck.
salsa

Post by salsa »

mystery wrote:I never found a tutor better than me! :oops: But, I had the benefit of this website too and finding out correct information for myself. A lot of parents and a lot of tutors just do something which looks approximately right rather than focusing on what the particular exam requires and the particular child needs. I agree with DAO and others above.

Good luck.
Dear Mystery,
You are SOOO well informed! I would have you tutor my child any time! :D You and all above are right. I agree that the key issue is to know the key material needed so that the child's efforts are maximised. As you say, if you are not sure, a tutor with a good track record can help. The issue would be to find someone suitable this late. Sometimes we just need a guiding hand to make sure that the child is on track for the targeted school.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Hey thanks Salsa - that makes me feel even more embarrassed! You are extremely well informed too.

Tbh, I think the other thing I have to give credit to is my children's school - various unexpected and hideous experiences in ks1 :cry: taught me not to sit back and just leave any area to school without having good evidence for thinking I could do so.

In the end, I was very lucky my child score much higher than needed - but it is so much more relaxing to know that there is margin for error and panic on the day than feeling that a pass is entirely in the lap of the gods.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Thanks. I try to be, but it's difficult with so many changes. I'll keep watching this forum for information. I really don't like the pace of CEM. It's so fast! I hope Kent don't change to it for 2016.

You are right, exam technique is crucial. My son didn't do any private mocks, but had the benefit of doing the Kent mock a week before. I found that great. He even sat in the same room and desk for the exam.

Perhaps the OP could consider having her daughter sit some mocks?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now