Paying for transport.

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tolstoy

Paying for transport.

Post by Tolstoy »

As staying on in education or training is now compulsory and encouraged why is the cost of transport disproportionately more expensive than for under 16s. Is this just the case for the county we live in or are all parents facing the same problem?
Tinkers

Re: Paying for transport.

Post by Tinkers »

In Reading all under 19s get charged what is called 'solo' fare, effectively a child's fare.
No need for bus passes etc.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

The public transport is pants where we live so the only feesable way for him to get to school is School transport. He can't drive, which would be cheaper and save him an hour's journey time, because of epilepsy :roll:

We are in Bucks close to where HS2 will cut through, irony as really rubbing our noses in it. Interesting that Reading treat them equally. Wonder if we are the only ones being ripped off?
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

We have the same problems in Kent, Tolstoy. The subsidised school bus pass is much more expensive for over 16s and for those of our children who need to take the train they have to pay the full adult fare - there is no subsidy or scholars' rate.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Interesting, would like to know what the justification behind this is, especially as many DC are unable to go to their nearest school due to limited curriculums or strict admission criteria, making walking or biking not an option.
emsy

Post by emsy »

In Trafford under 19s in full time education can get a pass that allows them to pay the child fare for travel between home and school. They pay adult fare for any other journeys.
SteveDH

Post by SteveDH »

London's reasonably nice, as long as you get an oyster card, under 19 and in full time education and its free on busses and trams and half price on the tube.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

I have to pay full fare on the public buses for my sixth former. If he was at Essex Uni or our futher education college he would be entitled to buy a student pass, but as a school sixth form student he isn't! If he lived in a neighbouring county he would be able to get a reduced fare or if he travelled by train. There does not seem to be any equality in the fares charged for 16 -19 year olds.
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

It's not just fares. I've lost count of the number of places we have been where I have had to pay adult prices for my 17 year old, but if he were a student at uni he would be charged less. I always argue the point, much to the embarrassment of DS, but with varied success.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

At least one uni gives a free bus pass to students in hall.