Tips on buying a piano

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Hera

Tips on buying a piano

Post by Hera »

DD is grade 5 piano and we really need to upgrade from a digital piano to a "decent" acoustic one. I am struggling with what and how to buy as I have no real musical aptitude or ability. I have considered a second hand Yamaha U3 but again don't really know how to check if it has been reconditioned properly. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? I asked for help from DDs piano teacher but it hasn't been forthcoming so I am at a bit of a loss. :?
Sally-Anne

Re: Tips on buying a piano

Post by Sally-Anne »

Buy from a shop not a private seller. Most piano shops are very long-established and can't afford to risk their reputation.

If you're still unsure, find a local piano tuner and hire them for an hour (around £40) to look at whatever you are considering buying.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

I hadn't played for years we we bought our piano. So I took along a friend, it helped to be able to listen to the various pianos and find one I liked. We bought ours from a company who restored pianos so there was plenty of choice.

My friend also gave me a great piece of advise, as my children were toddlers at the time; buy a double seat as you can sit together and play.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

I would definitely recommend a second-hand reconditioned Yamaha U3. That's exactly what I've got. I particularly like it as with its high back it makes such a big sound for an upright. I'm happy to recommend the supplier I used but not sure if I can do this on the forum, mods? Most Yamahas do produce a very particular bright tone so do be certain that you like it. Kawai pianos sound similar. Also worth looking at Kemble pianos. I was warned off pianos with fake German-sounding names as they may be poorly manufactured in China. Sadly there are now no European piano manufacturers.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Peridot wrote:I'm happy to recommend the supplier I used but not sure if I can do this on the forum, mods?
Not a problem between long-standing members.
Also worth looking at Kemble pianos.
I love my Kemble - they have such a rich sound. (Mine was British-made though - since 2009 they've been made in Japan. Not sure if they've changed because of that.)
Hera

Post by Hera »

Peridot wrote: I'm happy to recommend the supplier I used.
Yes please. I will have a look at Kemble pianos too. I imagine if I am getting a second hand one it would be pre 2009.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

It's http://www.markgoodwinpianos.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hera

Post by Hera »

I had come across Markgoodwin pianos on my search and read his guides. Did you buy one unseen from Oldham or did you go to the show room in New Malden? Also is there an age of Yamaha you would recommend and were you confident that all the pianos had been fully reconditioned. Apologies for all the questions.
BlueSmarties

Post by BlueSmarties »

Hera, are you near London? We got our Yamaha upright from these people (our piano teacher friend had bought their Yamaha grand from them too): http://jreidpianos.co.uk/blog/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They have a big selection, not just of Yamahas though. Great service.
Hera

Post by Hera »

Thank you. We are South Herts so I will have a look at them too.