Maths study book for Year 2

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ronkevso

Maths study book for Year 2

Post by ronkevso »

My DD is in Year 2 and able however I feel that she needs to cover some of the basics in Maths using a step by step approach.

I have heard that the Bond No Nonsense series are good for covering the foundations. Is that true? Has anyone used these books? Can anyone recommend books to help TEACH my DD national curriculum Maths?

Many thanks
Guest55

Re: Maths study book for Year 2

Post by Guest55 »

It's very unlikely any books have been revised to match the new National curriculum.

There are lots of fun things you could be doing at home and look at the stage 1 (KS1) curriculum maps on NRICH here:
http://nrich.maths.org/8935" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maths is all about solving problems ... for example, how tall will my sunflower grow?
russet

Post by russet »

I suggest going along to WHS or Waterstones with your daughter and looking at the revision guides in the education section. Pick ones that you like together.

I used Letts revision guides and workbooks, but CPG do similar ones. It is important to get the workbook as well as children learn more from doing than from being told. Also get a pack of colourful crayons and a pad of graph paper so you can scribble more questions as you go through the revision guide to make sure she is getting it. I also used to repeat sections two or three times as going over it a day or two later gets it from short term to long term memory and also takes the pressure off the child having to feel like she has to get it first time through. I then used to let my daughter do the corresponding sections of the workbook alone as the ability to work independently is also important. The main thing is to keep it fun and stop as soon a the child wants to stop.

If she wanted to do something different, my daughter also used to do a page from the Letts Mythical Maths book. This is a series worth looking at as a supplement. She also did Khan Academy if she wanted to do something on the computer. I would also search Khan academy videos when there were bits of maths I was struggling to understand.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

russet - Khan Academy is American and does not use the correct methods for this country - it is not recommended by maths teachers.

There is no need for such a formal approach in Year 2 ... have you seen the research paper I've posted before?

http://www.acme-uk.org/media/10498/raisingthebar.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
russet

Post by russet »

My own daughter loves maths, got A* GCSE at ten and passed for the JMC Olympiad also when 10, having got a silver in the IMC. I will revise my methods if and when they stop working, but until then will continue sharing them with others.

It is then for others to decide what they do or do not wish to use for their children.

There are those who believe maths is best taught through the medium of cooking or gardening or dance. I believe maths is best taught through the medium of maths.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Read the ACME paper written by experts ...

Maths is problem solving - it can be taught through every subject -
russet

Post by russet »

Oh good. I seem to be doing a lot better with my child's education than the experts.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Each child is different and therefore, 'your' method may have worked for your child but you cannot assume it can be replicated for others. Your daughter is still young and has not yet reached the age/stage when you can judge 'success' ... has she been selected for a UKMT summer school or their mentoring scheme?

Look up 'Ruth Lawrence' to see what can go wrong ...
russet

Post by russet »

This thread is now wandering off into the future career speculations for my child. All I can say is that from my experience, if you teach a child maths their maths will improve.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It hasn't gone off topic - this thread is about ensuring a child is given the right educational experiences. I believe ACME's advice is more relevant here ...

In KS1 they should be exploring problems - problem solving in the real world - through every subject:

* patterns in music
* shapes/rhythm in dance
* symmetry in plants, objects and in art ....

Maths is as much about application as it is about a 'body of knowledge' [not actually fixed anyway] - new areas are developed through seeking solution to problems.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now