Reading/Kendrick What are they like?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Complete Novice

Reading/Kendrick What are they like?

Post by Complete Novice »

Hi, I have been reading with interest and sympathy about the dreadful wait that some of you are having at the moment for the Kendrick /Reading results in March. I just wondered whether there is anyone who has experience of having a child at these schools and what they are like. I have a boy and 2 girls and will potentially be looking at both but have been a bit worried about rumours that they are very pressurised hothouses. Any light anyone could shed with actual experience of these schools would be much appreciated. Many thanks. Complete Novice!
stevew61

Re: Reading/Kendrick What are they like?

Post by stevew61 »

Complete Novice wrote:a bit worried about rumours that they are very pressurised hothouses. Any light anyone could shed with actual experience of these schools would be much appreciated. Many thanks. Complete Novice!
Have heard that to.

Can only comment on Reading still early days but very impressed, however I do not have any comparable experience.

They do work the boys hard, just been told by mine it's the first time in two years he has had to concentrate. :shock:

Once you are in they are very supportive and address any weaknesses.

Just entered term three ( in new money ) and my boy has stated he will work harder, not get upset by setbacks and only the very very clever try for oxbridge and he might.

When your child’s expectations exceed your own due to positive peer pressure then as a parent you know things are on the up.

stevew61
Complete Novice

Thank you for that Stevew61. That does sound impressive! I will spend the next year trying to steel my nerves for the ordeal of sitting the entrance exam. My son is just year 4 so maybe it's too soon to start yet. i don't know anyone who has ever gone for Reading so I don't have much knowledge of when people start to prepare. Any views on Kendrick would be appreciated. Thank you
Ella

Post by Ella »

Hi Complete Novice,

I don't really know too many children at either school, at least not well enough to give much of an insight; but, I can tell you that when we visited Kendrick, my DD, DP and I definitely *didn't* get the feeling that it is a highly pressurised environment.

Also, I know someone who teaches there and she told me (some time ago when DD started thinking about going for Kendrick) that "Kendrick is not the academic hothouse that people might think" - she believes this is due to the fact that most girls there are very self-motivated and do not need to be pushed really hard to achieve.

It was mainly for these reasons that DD decided to go for it. :)

Hope this helps.

Ella
Green Fingers

Post by Green Fingers »

I'm afraid I don't live in Berks so cannot give specifics on either school mentioned but would like to contribute on a general note. Both my son and daughter go to the Colchester grammar schools in Essex and I'm constantly being told by people whose children do not go to grammars that both schools are hothouses and pressurise kids too much. I can honestly say that this could not be further from the truth. My son is in year 11 at CRGS and does far less homework than his friend in year 11 at a local comp. Not sure why this is, but as he seems to be doing well I'm not complaining!!!

I would always go by your instincts when you visit the schools and take advice from those on this forum who have direct experience of both schools.

Good luck for the future.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Complete Novice wrote:My son is just year 4 so maybe it's too soon to start yet. i don't know anyone who has ever gone for Reading so I don't have much knowledge of when people start to prepare.
That was us three years ago. :shock: During the summer holiday after year four I photocopied some NFER VR papers and cut them into strips we gently sat down and tried these quiz sheets. I would suggest start early keep it fun and little and often. Reading is a big ask one day four papers from a possible five subjects. The papers are not hard but they increase the number of questions and reduce time allowed, it's a test of speed and accuracy.

My year three boy is on Bond NVR 8-9 years, year one girl on bond 9-10 :oops: , but we have paused and gone back to reading,reading,reading to improve vocab.

You can do to much (who me?) the biggest improvements come from familiarization early on, we had peaks and troughs (of despair) and in the last few weeks wound down, it is very much what happens "on the day"
Reading theme "happy boys are successful boys". Must stop waffling, best wishes,

stevew61
Complete Novice

Thank you all for your replies. I had better go and visit both schools in person. My son reads like mad but I'm never sure he stops to find out the meanings of the words he doesn't know. I find it quite hard with 3 children to do more than the bare minimum homework set let alone more but I guess I will have to create the time somehow! Thanks again. !
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Complete Novice wrote:a bit worried about rumours that they are very pressurised hothouses. Any light anyone could shed with actual experience of these schools would be much appreciated. Many thanks.
Hi Complete Novice,

I've heard good things and not so good things about both schools, but no more than any other secondary schools in our area. The only difference is that both Grammars also have "VERY HIGH" expectations of their pupils, and this in turn, I guess, would translate to ...pressure. These expectations are always positive and the outcome of these, I think, is what gives these schools such excellent results.

:D

BW
Terri

Post by Terri »

I have a daughter in year 7 at Kendrick, she is happier than she has ever been at school.I think the key things are, that she is surrounded by like minded girls and she is engaged and not bored.
At the moment,she gets about 45 minutes homework on weeknights and about an hour and half at weekends.
The pace is fast and there are frequent tests, the girls are motivated and competitive but so far, not in an unpleasant way.
I am not aware of the school putting any pressure on my daughter at all.
The arts , sport and technologies are well represented in the timetable and taken seriously.Girls are encouraged to learn a musical instrument in school.
PHSE is sensitively and well handled and has generated lots of discussion at home.
I think it is a happy and productive shcool.
Kendrick mum

Kendrick girls

Post by Kendrick mum »

Hi Terri

Thanks for posting, great to read your post. I think just the kind of place we hope that would suit our dd. Just the small matter of being offered a place now! Keeping everything crossed.

Kendrick mum?