Any volunteering scope for a Year 6/7 in charity organisatio

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

indiemom

Any volunteering scope for a Year 6/7 in charity organisatio

Post by indiemom »

My son wants to do some charity work on a regular basis like once a week kind of thing. Was looking around our area and called up Age UK to find out if he can go to some houses to give aged citizen some company, read newspapers for them etc (which he loves to do), the main office said that he is too young to do it on his own but if I am there to take him around and be present with him then that should be all right. However the local office said that they don't have any such facility in our area. :(

I was looking around to find if there are places where he can start may be in Year 7 or so. I know kids do work at Oxfam as a part of Duke of Edinb'h but don't know whether it's before Year 9 or not.

Does anyone know any charity where a young boy who loves working for good cause can help (even if that involves my presence around him) may be couple of hours every week ?

thanks a lot in advance

IM
Amber

Re: Any volunteering scope for a Year 6/7 in charity organis

Post by Amber »

No concrete ideas and am rushing - but what a lovely son you have. I do hope he finds something and will give it some thought as this is worth encouraging. Give him a hug from me x
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Not quite the same thing, but would the local Beaver group let him help out, or is he too young?
scary mum
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes - that's great. It's a shame it's so hard volunteering at any age now it would seem .... and particularly as a child.

Have you tried going into your local library and asking and looking on the notice board? Sometimes you will find a local charity that does errands, small repairs, gardening, chatting etc for old people and I am sure that you would be welcome along with your son.

Worth asking at old people's homes and nursing homes too ---- loads of people desperate for visitors if the home and the relatives will allow it.

Sometimes it's the police check thing that makes things harder - there'll be the cost of two of you being checked but it shouldn't be a complete block.

Also if you search the charity commission website by postcode and the "find a charity" website you might find something local to you which fits with your son's interests and motivations in the direction of public benefit.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Local charity shops may be able to offer few hours voluntary work on weekends. DC is working at one such shop sorting out donated items, labelling and putting on shelves. Also learning to add value to the donated items by cleaning, polishing and sometimes, even mending/repairing.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

DRB checks are a reduced price for charities.

My DS had a similar problem trying to find somewhere - local charities or a church may be able to suggest something.
indiemom

Post by indiemom »

dear lovely people out there,

thanks a lot for all the wonderful posts.

@amber - thanks a lot for your kind words.

@scary mum - yes you are right I am not looking for that kind of things

@mystery - I have tried the library route before but when I called them they said mostly 18 yrs minimum threshold. Old people's homes and nursing homes is a great idea - have not tried that. As I said I tried Age UK only. Age UK said that CRB checks will be required on me, and I am ready to pay for that that's not a problem. Thanks a lot for your helpful tips.

@tiffinboys - very good idea indeed. I will go the town centre and ask the charity shops directly (sometimes it works better than just over the phone) whether they have some other things that my son can help them with on regular basis.

G55 - good tip, will try to find out through local churches, they might know some places that might be suitable for young boys.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Re DRB checks - both of my older children started doing voluntary work at 14. No check was needed before 18, so my younger volunteer still hasn't had one. He helps with Beavers, as someone else suggested, but here you have to be 14 to do that. He also has a paid job coming into contact with children but no check needed for that either - probably because he is never alone with the children. So I don't think you would have to worry about that. In fact I just checked and the minimum age you can be asked to have one is 16, so that isn't a concern. :D

Animal charities wouldn't need one either (though if quasimodo's thread on animal rights takes off, maybe that is coming next!). So maybe an animal shelter or somewhere if he is interested in that? And I bet if you could find a home for the elderly they would really love to have a young person in to chat to - chronic loneliness in the elderly is a real indictment of our modern society I think. :(
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

most charities will ask for an adult to be with the child if they are under 18.

My daughter started to volunteer for Crisis when she was 14 and my husband had to volunteer as well as she needed to have an adult. They both still go after 8 years and enjoy it

Some charity shops will allow under 18s to work in their shops - if that is something your son might want to do
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Have you tried residential care homes? Might be worth a thought?

Also try Time Bank they may be able to help out.

It doesn't have to be through an organisation, is there a neighbour or friend-of-friend who could do with some help.

When my kids were little I was so grateful for the teenage boys next door who just came round and entertaining them for a couple of ours during the summer holidays. I never asked, they just turned up when they had time. Lovely.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now