entry to sixth form at AGSB as an external candidate

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Catseye

entry to sixth form at AGSB as an external candidate

Post by Catseye »

My son attends The Grange School in Hartford, although we live in Alty and are in the process of considering 6th form options.
I have now applied to the School for possible entry into sixth form as a external candidate.
Having spoken to the admissions officer , she tells me that there will be definitely be 4 such places but they expect (going by historical entries) about 8-10 places are offered yearly.
Unfortunately these tend to be for the less subscribed A/AS subjects, but my son wants to do Maths,FM,Physics and Computing with Chemistry as the reserve subject which are normally already over-subscribed, so chances would be slim.

I'm not even sure if the school offers Computing at AS level :oops:

I have been informed that the GCSE predicted grades need to be almost exclusively A* in the top 8 subjects to be in with a chance since the competition for the very limited places is fierce :o

My sons predicted grades are anywhere between 9A* to 6*A-3A most likely somewhere in-between .

are these grades competitive for a chance?(obviously 9A* would be but he will almost certainly mess up somewhere ,knowing him as I do)

do they even do computing at AS?

does anyone have any experience as an external candidate?

we would ideally like him to continue at his present school where he is settled and has very good rapport with his excellent teachers but 1hr commute x2 daily and £30K of my hard earned money has to be a consideration! .
TIDDLYMUM

Re: entry to sixth form at AGSB as an external candidate

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

I can't speak for entry into sixth form as my son is there already ( and I am very much hoping he gets the grade for sixth form!).

I'd always take stories about needing all A* as an external with a pinch of salt.

But also , would you consider Sale and Ambrose as well, both excellent and with good A level options. An a level is an a level no matter where you take it.
miltonkeynes

Post by miltonkeynes »

Have you considered St Ambrose? My friends DS started in there in 6th Form and did brilliantly. AGSB is a fantastic school and seems to beat the independents hands down but as Tiddlymum says, St Ambrose and SGS are excellent too.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They must have an Admissions policy so scrutinise this.

It doesn't seem right that they can restrict choices ... I've never heard of that before.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

I don't think St Ambrose College would be a good fit for him we are CofE and stroppy son is a avid disciple of Prof Richard Dawkins with the fervor of a recent convert :roll: (he will grow up though,given time)

I will look into Sale Grammar though, although we are some distance from it and Washway Rd into the City is a bit of a nightmare in the mornings?

I have read the admissions policy
"The number of Sixth Form admissions from other schools for the year commencing September 2015 will be at least 4. Additional external students may be admitted providing their admission does not prejudice efficient education or the efficient use of resources." my emphasis

http://www.agsb.co.uk/doclib/Admissions ... 0Entry.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

so effectively what they are saying is, if classes for Physics for example is already full then that would prejudice the internal students if an external candidate was "shoe-horned in" and I think that is reasonable to be honest.
Plus I got that information from the horse's mouth , so to speak but I do agree that the A* stipulation seems a bit far fetched, He is not applying to Eton!
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

bumped up

dear son did not get an automatic place despite his high predicted grades .

the 4 automatic places are for those who are definite straight A*(they can choose any subjects to study) the other places offered are for those who opt for less oversubscribed subjects i.e non-STEM subjects

All a bit strange(considering the points for the top 8 gcse is only 48 for internal candidates , A*=8 A=7 B=6 ect-but I know on good info all of the automatic places went to indie children. At least one from The Grange School other 3 probably from MGS?)

The Grange boy is a near genius, could of gone to worse school in England and aced all of his igcses :roll:
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

we have been offered Sale Grammar and have accepted after some stiff resistance from DS ,he thinks money grows on trees :roll:

so watch out SGS a very self opinionated belligerent boy is heading your way-good luck to them :D :lol: :lol:
catmum

Post by catmum »

Hi Catseye,

Does Sale offer computing at A level? I have found it difficult to fond out?

thanks
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

catmum wrote:Hi Catseye,

Does Sale offer computing at A level? I have found it difficult to fond out?

thanks
He will be going chemistry which is more respected than com/com sci

want to leave the option open for Imperial/Oxbridge , not blooming likely since he can't even get into AGSB :roll:

and STEP exam will most likely be a step too far for him, he would be lucky to get an A at FM.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

if your son is interested in doing computing as career/degree level have a look at this detailed thread.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 57&t=40294" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now