Good laptop suggestions for homework and games?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
neveragain*

Good laptop suggestions for homework and games?

Post by neveragain* »

My Year 9 DS needs a laptop.....and I've no idea what to buy him......I'm hoping someone knowledgable here can help!

He's hoping to do some coding on it, using his raspberry Pi as well as other coding projects, do homework and access internet of course - for - ahem - research, ( not manic you tube videos......) and do some games on Steam, such as Civilisation V......

Anyone got any bright ideas? Budget is £400 tops...... :)
Amber

Re: Good laptop suggestions for homework and games?

Post by Amber »

Isn't there a rich relative who can chip in so he can have a MacBook? I suppose he's too young to go out to work...
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Hi Neveragain Something like this might suit -
http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Produ ... &sel=PCNB-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; a bit over budget but there is a £100 cashback and you might get a student discount.
I am on my third HP laptop and have been pleased with all of them - I am no expert - just a mum, student and occasional gamer.
I have this one http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/List. ... onv=1which" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I have been verry pleased with but a bit more expensive and to be honest now I have got used to windows 8.1 the touch screen is not that much of a benefit and it is too big to use as a tablet. They do student discount as well - I phoned them up as I did not have my student email address and they gave me the discount over the phone.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I'm with Amber - we are a Macbook family - they may seem like an expensive outlay initially, but our laptops have kept on and on whilst friends we know who bought cheaper at the same time are already on their 2nd and 3rd laptops...
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

kenyancowgirl wrote:I'm with Amber - we are a Macbook family - they may seem like an expensive outlay initially, but our laptops have kept on and on whilst friends we know who bought cheaper at the same time are already on their 2nd and 3rd laptops...

Another Mac fan. Ours out lasted three windows based laptops, and unlike the windows based machines, there wasn't a loss of performance over time.

Depends whether any additonal software you would want can run on Mac of course.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Tinkers wrote:
kenyancowgirl wrote:I'm with Amber - we are a Macbook family - they may seem like an expensive outlay initially, but our laptops have kept on and on whilst friends we know who bought cheaper at the same time are already on their 2nd and 3rd laptops...

Another Mac fan. Ours out lasted three windows based laptops, and unlike the windows based machines, there wasn't a loss of performance over time.

Depends whether any additonal software you would want can run on Mac of course.
One of our MacBooks is really old now and my son bought some additional RAM for it. Easy to install and much cheaper than a new one (about £35 I think). We were given a Windows machine and couldn't get on with it - so slow and clunky - and gave it away again. I think computers do engender loyalties but do also think the longevity of a Mac makes it cheaper in the long run.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I really don't get on with Windows Hate as I've nicknamed it.

The only draw back I've had so far with Mac is that the Mac version of Excel doesn't allow VBA coding, and since I'm doing some coding on that for a work project it would be great to be able to do some stuff on it at home.

DD refuses to use the windows hate laptop at home whether for school homework or anything else. She just finds it much easier to use (and quicker to boot up, we all know kids these days have no patience :roll: )
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

We have only Mac's here ourselves ATM, a Mac computer and all Mac laptops but I don't think we can stretch to that for him, unless as Amber suggested we look at old ones and update.....

A problem has been a lot of school stuff isn't Mac Compatible - some of the coding stuff......but on reflection he is so Mac proficient and none of us understand windows so may be better to wait and save up rather than buy a windows machine.....

Thank you for replies.... :D
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

How can I figure out if a MacBook would work for DD's school homework that she has to login for school? Finding it a struggle to keep up with the right computers, but the old PC desktop just isn't working right anymore and DDs and DH are clashing over the newer one. Something more portable would be an idea.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I would have a word with her IT teacher. DD has no problems with her hw when she has to log in to her school system. They use google drive.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now