Two different Local Authorities

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Hope4Ken

Two different Local Authorities

Post by Hope4Ken »

I'm interested in apply to Kendrick and would like to understand the admissions procedure a bit better. Please note my dc is several years away from sitting the exam so I am just doing some research at the moment.

I know you need to live within the catchment so we have 4 to 5 years to decide what we want to do and move if possible. The catchment geographically however, is very wide. My second choice school (state school, non-grammar) is in a different local authority to the Reading LA and actually, no where near Reading.

How does the admissions work if my daughter doesn't get into Kendrick? Will I have enough time to apply for my second choice school if it doesn't work out?

This is theoretical: I understand that exam results were issues this year on 2nd March (congrats all round even to those that didn't pass btw! I never passed my Cambridge University interview way back then!! - gutting - but I still had a pretty successful city career!! ;)). Anyway, back to my point, do I get a second opportunity to then apply for my 2nd choice state school after 2nd March if I want to apply in my preferred local authority?

I hope this makes sense (and yes, I may well be inflamed for the above but thought I could at least ask as I'm sure quite a few of you might have been in similar positions). Many thanks!! :P
Guest55

Re: Two different Local Authorities

Post by Guest55 »

You submit one form (called a CAF) to your local LA and it can include ANY state schools you want to apply for whichever LA they are in.

You must put them in the order you want ... LAs vary in how many you can choose.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Hi Ken and welcome.

School admissions use the "equal preference system".

When the time comes, assuming you are still interested in Kendrick and have moved into catchment, you'll need to look at the schools that you like that you stand a reasonable chance of getting a place. Look at the various school admissions policies on their websites. Go and visit them on Open days. Decide which schools you like best and in what order.
Don't forget to apply for any admission tests, the cutoff dates will be on The school websites.
When you get to year 6, you will need to fill in your CAF, the application form for secondaries. Put the schools in the order of YOUR preference. If you don't get your first, then your second choice becomes your first. The order you place them in makes no difference to whetehr you will get a place. You will need to apply to the local authority to which you pay council tax, even if some or all of the schools you are applying to are in other authorities.

Hope that all makes sense.
Hope4Ken

Post by Hope4Ken »

Thank you *Tinkers* and *Guest55*. That all makes sense and makes it administratively far easier than I imagined! With regards to the Indies, do I need to put them on the CAF forms too?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

You apply to Indies separately. Each one has its own admissions procedure. They don't go on the CAF, that is just for state schools.
Hope4Ken

Post by Hope4Ken »

Thank you Tinkers.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now