Period pains-Dysmenorrhoea

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Catseye

Period pains-Dysmenorrhoea

Post by Catseye »

My dd started her menses on her her 13th birthday and for last 3 months has been unable to attend school for 3 days or so for the last 3/12 months and missing important lessons at her highly selective school, I am now getting worried , I do not want to go down the road of hormonal or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory route although we do self administer Calpol.

Does anyone know any herbal remedies ?
Amber

Re: Period pains-Dysmenorrhoea

Post by Amber »

Is she not a bit old for Calpol now? She can take an adult dose of paracetamol and if she also took ibuprofen she might find it afforded effective pain relief - assuming it is pain which is stopping her?

My own solution has always been exercise and I discovered recently that my mother before me used the same method. Maybe worth a try, although I know it is counter-intuitive. Swimming (which I realise might not be possible in her case) or just a brisk walk? My mother used to scrub the floors apparently. :shock:
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

This really is one for your GP. Honestly, this is such a miserable start for her and any GP will be terribly sympathetic. If they are not, ask to see another. i am not a big fan of herbal preparations (unproven, don't know what's in them etc) but I not against non medical methods to help, like exercise, hot water bottles etc. But if it's interfering with her schooling then really, proper medical help is needed. I know tranexamic acid is an effective choice but you've mentioned you may not be keen on NSAIDs and you are also not keen on hormonal, but my understanding is that there are some by low dose versions of the pill developed especially for this kind of issue. Personally the mirena coil would be my vote for an older child bearing age woman, but am fairly sure this won't be on offer.

But anyway, please do go and see you gp, they will really want to help.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Being at the other end of the whole process I take tranexamic acid so that it's possible to leave the house /go to work :shock: it works very well for that but it does give me headaches and doesn't really tackle the pain side of things :(

As a youngster I suffered very painfully every month to the point of being physically sick two or three times a day for two or three days. I remember hot water bottles helped (not very practical at school I know), exercise is good as is lying down and stretching out, everything tells you to curl into the foetal position but stretching seems to ease things. I would really consider going to the gp or at least trying one of the over the counter products appropriate for her age.

I really feel for your dd, hopefully you can get her some help.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

The doctor will likely prescribe mefanamic acid (ponstan) which is an NSAID. For pharmacological reasons an NSAID is likely to be more effective than paracetamol. Some also use use antispasmodics such as buscopan & your GP may be happy to prescribe them (our GP was). Other than that you are left with hormonal, heat or exercise. If your poor DD is suffering like my daughter & I have done, drugs of some variety are the only way I'm afraid.
scary mum
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Amber wrote:Is she not a bit old for Calpol now?
we give 1g of pct every 6 hours , try making her swallow any tablets or capsules she would just gag and throw up :roll:
Yamin151 wrote:I know tranexamic acid is an effective choice
is that licensed for 13yr olds ? and I would not be happy with such a thrombotic agent , with risks of DVT's ect

and not happy with progesterone or combination of estrogen/progesterone medication, yes I should of added any herbal remedies which have some evidence based efficacy , like st Jonh's wort proven to effective for mild depression also known to interact with anti-coagulants like warfarin

I do not want to over medicalise a natural nuisance and a natural development (a right of passage)process, despite what Dr Google may say :roll:
doodles

Post by doodles »

Ponstan worked very well for me for several years I would certainly try it before tranexamic acid.

If your regular gp is male try the female doctor in your practice they do have a little more understanding - not dissing male gp's but for Gynae appointments I do think personal experience is very useful :lol:
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Hear hear to that! :lol:
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

DD can't swallow tablets either, so I can I understand still using calpol. However we have found nurofen meltlets a good alternative.

I think a visit to the GP is in order for your DD. I know you don't want to overmedicalise what is a natural function, but to suffer that much is not necessarily 'natural' either. This could be an issue for her for decades so worth sorting out now.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I agree ... skip ahead a few years and missing GCSEs is not an option, so exploring a solution now is a good idea.

My sister suffered with this and I can remember a male doctor telling her it would 'be sorted' once she had a baby ... not quite the remedy a 14 year old wants to hear.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now